Blue Square Bet South

Truro City    2    Boreham Wood    0

by John Mead

It was another day to forget in Cornwall for Ian Allinson’s men as they lost not only their unbeaten record but their discipline.    Last Season’s disappointment at the 2 – 1 defeat in the fog was usurped on an afternoon when Wood finished the game with just eight players.

Brimming with confidence Wood included Loan signing Mauro Vilhete in the starting line-up, a player who was so influential last Season, who joins from near neighbours Barnet for a second Loan spell.    Also in the mix was another player who includes Barnet in his CV, forward Cliff Akurang, who at thirty-one, brings a wealth of experience to a recently misfiring Wood forward line.    His debut, a second half centre back role was hardly in the script, nor was what to unfold on the afternoon.    The first sight of goal fell to Graeme Montgomery whose free kick tested ‘keeper Sandercombe.    City then won a free kick in a similar position, with James Russell saving from Jake Ash.    Vilhete was inspirational on his return, cutting in from the right after receiving a through ball from Chez Isaac he rounded a defender before shooting across goal.    The effort was cleared by Sandercombe for a corner, from which Charlie O’Loughlin forced another save from the City custodian with a headed effort.

It was all Wood at this stage, Ben Nunn picked out Vilhete who crossed for Montgomery.    His goal bound effort was deflected behind for another Wood corner.    Vilhete was involved in literally all of Wood’s offensive play, in the twenty-sixth minute he cut a ball back for Elliott Buchanan whose shot was cleared off the line by the White Tigers Player / Manager Lee Hodges.

Wood went behind to a swift counter attacking move after twenty-eight minutes.    Omer Riza lost possession in attack, a slip by Luke Garrard allowed Adam Kelly a sight of goal and he calmly fed Stuart Yetton to fire home past the unguarded Russell, against the run of play.    Riza then had a cross cum shot cleared off the line, before Ash was yellow carded for an infringement on ‘keeper Russell, joining Garrard in what was soon to become an extremely full notebook for Referee Mr. Cook.

The game descended into anarchy in the forty-second minute.    Nunn’s rash sliding challenge incensed the Truro City team who bore down on Mr. Cook.    A mass coming together of players ensued, the outcome of which was a straight red for Nunn, a similar punishment for O’Loughlin who raised both hands to Ash in the aftermath. Ash, for his part in the provocation was also ordered off the field for a second yellow card offence, with Mark Jones also entering the Referee’s notebook.

A stunned Wood came out for the second half with Buchanan replaced by Akurang who surprisingly was slotted in next to Callum Reynolds in a back four, leaving three midfielders and Riza the lone striker.    The nine men fared well against the ten men with Vilhete and Riza combining allowing Riza a shot which went straight at Sandercombe.    Riza then missed a guilt edged chance for an equaliser.    Jones’ cross was misread by Hodges and Riza fired wide from just eight yards out with only Sandercombe to beat.

Truro were causing Wood problems with the extra man advantage and used the extra space well.    They increased their lead after fifty-five minutes when Ben Williams was allowed a free header from a corner and duly dispatched beyond Russell.    Les Afful then broke from inside the Wood half and brushed aside the Wood defence yet fired wide of the target.

With Mr. Cook regularly adding his list of names Inih Effiong replaced Riza, who failed to get his shot away when played in by Akurang.    Wood continued in vain to search for a way back, until a moment of pure stupidity left the Wood Management with even more questions to answer.    Already short of two defenders for three matches Garrard lost his cool kicking out at a Truro City player in an off the ball incident which resulted in another straight red card to cap a shameful afternoon in Rattler country.

Wood Manager Ian Allinson did well to temper his fury after the final whistle.    “Two individuals have let us down badly this afternoon with their poor reactions.    We will miss three key defenders for three matches including our first F.A. Challenge Cup tie, which is of our own making and that is disappointing.    We were competing well even after going a goal down and for the first twenty-five minutes of the second half even with nine men we had chances to equalise.    The second goal we gave away cheaply and that left us with a mountain to climb.    I would like to heap praise on the players that remained on the pitch for me today, they did not let me down. We will dust ourselves down and be up and ready to go again on Monday night against Sutton United.”

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Jones, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Vilhete (Sub – Morgan 77 mins), Isaac, Buchanan (Sub – Akurang 46 mins.), Riza (Sub – Effiong 72 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Hutton, Scott-Morris.

Bookings:    Garrard, Vilhete, Jones.    Sent Off:    Nunn, O’Loughlin 44, Garrard 84 (all straight red cards).

Goals:    Truro City:    Yetton 27, Williams 55.

Man of the Match:    Mauro Vilhete.


Share This