On a cold Saturday afternoon at Meadow Park, the Wood and Bromley played out a goalless draw in a match where both teams lacked confidence and the quality needed to go on and win the game.

Luke Garrard made four changes from his side that lost to Sutton in midweek, in came Ricky Shakes, Angelo Balanta, Ben Nunn and Tom Hitchcock. Bruno Andrade, Kenny Davis and Danny Woodards dropped to the bench whilst Anthony Jeffrey was omitted from the squad.

It was a cautious and quiet opening to the game with Wood seeing plenty of the ball. Early on you could see the Bromley were happy to sit back and let Wood have the ball in their own half and then punish on the counter.

Wood looked comfortable in possession despite not being able to get in behind the Bromley back line. Wood came near to opening the scoring after a mix up in the Bromley area. Matt Paine floated a cross into the box. Ross Flintney and Alan Dunne both went for the ball with the ball somehow going just wide to the relief of the pair.

Tom Hitchcock showed his quality in the air, winning a flick on into the path of Ricky Shakes. Shakes played the ball out wide to Ben Nunn, who crossed but unable to find a white shirt in the box.

Conor Dymond found space for himself inside the Wood area. Joe Devera managed to get a block into his initial shot – which then fell kindly for Louis Dennis – who despite having time shot first time over the bar.

Wood then found themselves with plenty of space in the wide areas but a lack of quality on the crosses into the box allowed Bromley to deal with them with ease.

Very early on in the second half Brandon Hanlan had a great opportunity for the visitors. Referee Chris O’Donnell bizarrely gave the visitors a free kick which they took quickly. Hanlan was being tracked by Stephens who got caught the wrong side of his man. Hanlans effort was weak and straight at Grant Smith who gathered the ball.

Nunn who was a candidate for the Woods man of the match put in a cross following a corner which Matt Paine swung with his left foot on the volley that went well wide of the goal.

Woods best move of the game almost resulted in a goal for the home side. Balanta and Reason combined well. Balanta played a one two with Reason and then played into the feet of Hitchcock who spun his man. His effort beat Flitney but unfortunately cannoned back off the post.

Grant Smith then produced a great save to keep his side in the game. A corner from the left found Lee Minshull who was unmarked in the box, his volley took a Rica shade wrong footing Smith who adjusted well to keep the ball out.

At the other end a goal line clearance from Jack Holland prevented Ben Nunn from opening the scoring. The right wing back from just inside the box struck the ball sweetly but the Bromley captain was equal to it clearing the ball to safety.

Both sides made changes to try and add a little bit of quality in order to find a winner and both sides had chances late on to get the three points.

The first chance fell the way of the visitors and Louis Dennis. A ball from the right was fizzed in to Dennis who had escaped his marker but a poor first touch took the ball away from him and allowed Grant Smith to come and claim the ball.

Then deep into stoppage time a corner from the Wood was only half cleared. Femi Ilesanmi then played a deep cross into the box which Nunn made every effort to get on the end off. He beat his marker to the ball and looked to have stabbed it beyond Flitney but the Bromley stopper pulled of a brilliant save to give his side a share of the spoils.

Wood go again next week with a relatively short trip to Woking.





Share This