Wood conceded four for the first time all season on Saturday afternoon, as Macclesfield Town left Meadow Park with all three points on a sun baked afternoon.

Luke Garrard stuck with the same eleven that beat Lincoln here just 11 days ago.

Wood started brightly and Bruno Andrade had a snap shot that went just wide after Ricky Shakes won the initial header.

Macclesfield Town then took an early lead as Fitzpatrick beat the offside trap and put in a great ball across the face of goal to allow Mitch Hancox to tap past the helpless Grant Smith

Wood responded well with a goal of their own. A free kick from Kenny Davis found David Stephens who initially won the flick on, Town failed to clear their lines and the ball fell kindly to Stephens who smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Wood went from left to right playing some nice intricate football, Nunn then delivered the ball into the box which was met by Kenny Davis who glanced his header wide.

Macclesfield then regained their lead, Kingsley James had a shot from outside the box that Grant Smith was unable to hold onto and Hancox was on hand to once again tap in.

Wood had chances of their own as we headed into one minute of added time, however a minute of madness saw the Wood go in 4-1 down.

Both goals were Woods own doing and were gifted to Macclesfield on a plate. Hancox once again with a shot that was deflected past Grant Smith. Wood then kicked off and instead of going forwards went back to Joe Devera who slipped allowing Norburn to intercept and Hancox to fire past Grant Smith.

Garrard reacted at Half Time by making two changes. Off came Joe Devera and Kenny Davis and on came the fit again Mark Ricketts and Morgan Ferrier.

Ferrier was fouled twenty yards from goal. A clever free kick that was laid off to Danny Woodards whose effort was on target was well blocked for a Wood corner. From the resulting free kick, Jai Reasons cross fell kindly to Ben Nunn who volleyed wide.

Andrade nearly got Wood back into it, his shot from the edge of the box was spilled by Flinders, however he managed to get up and block Ferriers effort.

Minutes later Andrade did get Wood back into the game after a mazy run across the face of the box jinking past three Andrade fired past Flinders into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Wood continued to press forward, a corner from the left taken by Reason found an unmarked Matt Paine at the back post who had a real chance to get Wood a third goal but his header went over the bar.

As the clock ticked down Macclesfield did all in their power to slow the tempo of the game down. Wood still managed to carve out a couple of opportunities without really testing Flinders.

Wood now make the Journey next week up to North Ferriby, looking to get themselves back to winning ways.



Share This