It was a bad day at of the office for Luke Garrard’s men at a very chilly Nethermoor Park, home of Guiseley AFC, as they returned from Yorkshire empty handed. Wood controlled possession, particularly in the first half, but it was two defensive errors that cost the Wood dearly.

Garrard made two changes from the midweek win over Sutton United. Daniel Uchechi and Matt Paine came in for Conor Clifford and Dave Stephens who dropped to the bench.

It was a bright start for the Wood, who had plenty of possession and looked in complete control of the game. A cross-cum-shot from Anthony Jeffrey nearly gave Wood the perfect start as he caught Jonny Maxted off his line but the keeper backtracked well to get a strong hand on the ball allowing Danny Lowe to clear.

Maxted was called into action again moments later when a through ball from Daniel Uchechi found Jamie Lucas – the forward took a touch before getting his shot away which was deflected taking all the pace from it, making the save for Maxted straightforward.

The supply to Lucas was poor all afternoon but when a chance did come his way he made the keeper work. Ben Nunn supplied the cross for Lucas who directed his header on target but without the power to beat Maxted.

In the closing stages of the first half, Simon Walton had a shot from outside the area which took a deflection through a crowded box wrong footing Grant Smith, but the Wood keeper was able to adjust and make the save.

Guiseley came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and in doing so gave themselves the advantage by scoring two goals in quick succession. Poor marking from a corner on the left enabled Robert Atkinson at the far post to head beyond Smith to give Guiseley the lead.

Minutes later, under no pressure, Ben Nunn attempted to head an aerial ball back to keeper Smith but only directed the ball into the path of Jake Cassidy who slipped the ball through for Will Hatfield to double the home side’s lead with a shot into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Garrard responded by throwing on his attacking option Rhys Murrell-Williamson in place of Daniel Uchechi. Murrell-Williamson’s first involvement was setting up Kenny Davis with a cross from the right which found Davis who had timed his run to perfection powering a header past the helpless Maxted.

Wood went in search of the equaliser and it was Murrell-Williamson who came closest as his left foot shot from just inside the area whistled over the bar.

Wood continued to press forward and Anthony Jeffrey blazed an effort over the bar. It was one attack too many though for Wood as on the break Jake Cassidy put the game to bed with a neat finish past Smith.

Angelo Balanta had a half chance for Wood in the closing stages but Guiseley ran the clock down and saw the game out to give them a much needed three points which lifted them off the bottom of the table.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ilesanmi, Ricketts (Clifford), Paine, Devera, Davis, Balanta, Jeffrey, Uchechi (Williamson), Lucas

Not used: Woodards, Stephens, Boal




Share This