Vanarama Conference South.

Hayes and Yeading United 0 Boreham Wood 3,

by John Mead.

A thoroughly professional performance produced a comfortable victory leaving Wood second in the table, a position they can retain until after their two week break from League action that now follows.

With Lee Angol suspended, Ian Allinson was forced to shuffle his hand, making four changes from the side that were victorious in the F A Cup five days earlier. Luke Garrard returned to right back, Matty Whichelow came into the midfield in place of Scott Thomas, whilst David Moli, earning his first start since signing for the club, partnered Junior Morias up front, with Austin Lipman dropping to the bench.

It was James Russell who was first called into action, saving from Vas Karagiannis and then Tom Collins as United looked to make it three straight wins. However, a quick ball into the feet of Moli inside the penalty area from Whichelow led to Ashley Artwell clipping the ex Wolves trainee from behind. Referee Mr Knapp was well placed and pointed to the penalty spot. Luke Garrard stepped up to ensure a dream start for Wood, beating debutant keeper Ferhat Aksoy, deputising for the unwell Calum Kitscha, after just 7 minutes.

Five minutes later Aksoy could do nothing about a piece of Morias magic with the diminutive striker seemingly hell bent on giving Graeme Montgomery a run for his money in the goal of the season stakes. A headed clearance from Callum Reynolds found Garrard who delivered the perfect ball to the left wing for Morias. He rounded a defender before glancing goalwards, then unleashing a superb curling effort from twenty five yards that left Aksoy helpless, the ball ending up in the top right hand corner of the net.

Moli was a constant threat to the United defence and his challenge for an aerial ball caused a coming together of Aksoy and the influential Dean Inman, leaving Inman in real trouble and unable to continue.

Wood were now in absolute control of the game with Moli missing an open goal after good work from Morias and Montgomery. Aksoy then dived low and full stretch to deny Moli again, before Garrard saw his shot blocked for a corner.

The frustration of the home side manifested itself when Daniel Wishart took out Ricky Shakes needlessly after the main man in the Wood engine room had won possession, earning a booking.

Both sides had wayward efforts before the interval, with Wood looking a good bet to see out the win. However as in the first half United started the stronger with Collins’ shot only parried by Russell who did well to prevent it crossing the line.

Wishart then collected a second yellow card for a challenge on Garrard, leaving his side a man down after 57 minutes. Seven minutes later the fate of the “home side” was put beyond any reasonable doubt. A fine ball from Morias sent Moli through on goal. Aksoy came flying out of his area, only to bring down the Wood forward in some fashion. Off went Aksoy to join Wishart and on came the veteran Delroy Preddie to try and protect the remaining eight outfield players from further torment.

Whichelow lined up the resultant free kick, which he curled low around the wall, leaving Preddie motionless and his side three down.

The following thirty four minutes were pretty pointless. Wood faced an eight man defence and began stringing passing moves together without really imposing themselves. In fact Preddie was called into action just once to dive low to his right and push Austin Lipman’s free kick around the post.

A strange game in which the result was never really in doubt, allowing Ian Allinson to preserve the energy levels of his side in the last half hour with the exciting trip to Kingfield next Saturday in mind.

Team: Russell, Garrard, Brown, Cox (Thomas 75), Hill, Reynolds, Whichelow, Shakes, Morias (Lipman 72), Moli, Montgomery (Morgan 78).
Subs not used: Noto, Courtnage.

Bookings: Cox, Morais.

Goals: Boreham Wood: Garrard 7 pen, Morias 12, Whichelow 66.

Man Of The Match: Junior Morias.


Share This