We had all the weather conditions at the Racecourse Ground on Saturday as a last minute penalty gifted Wrexham all three points and a fourth consecutive victory over the Wood.

Following the arrival of Tom Hitchcock, Manager Luke Garrard opted to start with a 4-4-2 formation, partnering Hitchcock and Morgan Ferrier up front. The injured Danny Woodards missed out and Garrard again had two academy boys in Ben Goodliffe and Bradley Sach on the bench.

Unusually for Wood they got off to a good start and it was Anthony Jeffrey who had the first shot in the opening minutes. Wrexham then took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated for long periods. A deep cross came into the box from the right which was headed down by Izale Mcleod into the path of Jordan White who saw his left footed shot blocked by Joe Devera.

A rare Wood attack saw Angelo Balanta fouled 20 yards from goal. He got up to take the free kick which went the wrong side of the post taking a deflection which the referee failed to spot giving a goal kick.

Wood then failed to clear their lines following a ball into the box and Russell Penn hit a rasping drive from 25 yards which skimmed the outside of the post with Grant Smith well beaten.

Wrexham were then rewarded for their pressure as Referee Allison awarded a penalty which looked harsh as Mcleod went down after a challenge from Matt Paine. Anthony Barry stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

Mcleod then found himself in on goal after a neat one two but Smith, who was on outstanding form all afternoon, was out quickly to narrow the goal making a fantastic save.

After being fouled down the right Balanta put in a teasing free kick which split the defence but Hitchcock headed wide from six yards out when well placed to score.

Wood then had a penalty appeal turned down after Ferrier was brought down in the box on the stroke of half time.

Early in the second half Smith pulled off two more outstanding saves to keep his side in the game, firstly a drive from the edge of the box which he tipped over one handed as it was heading in the top corner and then a shot from Jordan White just six yards out was brilliantly saved.

Garrard had at this point seen enough and made a double substitution bringing off Hitchcock and Kenny Davis for Bruno Andrade and Ricky Shakes. Immediately the side had a better look about it and tried to get on the front foot.

Both Jeffrey, who had seen very little of the ball in the first half, and Andrade got joy out wide and starting asking questions of the Wrexham backline. On separate occasions in quick succession both players got to the by-line delivering a great ball into the box but not finding a blue shirt to convert.

Wood then came close after a move that began down the left with Ferrier who drove into the box, playing the ball into the feet of Shakes who took a touch before laying off to Jeffrey who tried to place the ball in the bottom corner taking a deflection on the way through.

In the 76th minute Jeffrey once again got the better of his man and this time was hauled to the ground and the Referee had to hesitation in pointing to the spot. Ferrier confidently stepped up and cheekily chipped the ball down the middle which seemed to take an age to cross the line.

Wood were good value for their equaliser and the Wood Gaffer urged them on in search of a winner and several opportunities came and went.

With three minutes to be added at the end of the ninety, Wood thought they had a point until the very last kick of the game when a ball lofted into the box struck Joe Devera on the hand. Again Referee Allison had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and up stepped sub John Rooney to give the home side all three points.


Share This