The Hertfordshire Schools squad, that took to the field boasting no fewer than 12 Boreham Wood players. All our boys are all schooled around Hertfordshire with our various education partners and they faced a well drilled and organised Gwent side, that featured no fewer than 8 Welsh internationals.

This is the first time in the history of Herts football that they had achieved this type of success and as such they and the players had much to prove…

Herts took the lead within the first 5 minutes, after a well worked corner and pin point cross from Herts captain Charlie Hunter, he found midfielder Max Farrelly who directed his header into the roof of the net.

Hertfordshire looked likely to double their lead minutes later, after great build up from the back they picked a hole in the opposition defence, only for Harvey Scott-Morris to pull his shot wide of the mark.

Gwent however showed their class and soon started to dictate, with some neat passages of play and recorded their first shot of the game.  They came even closer with five minutes remaining of the 1st half. When a corner was cleared by Herts, only for a Gwent midfielder to take a great first touch and strike a ball on the half volley and was denied only by the wood work.

Half Time – Herts 1 – 0 Gwent

Gwent started the second half with a purpose and dominated the majority of possession. However they never really penetrated the Herts back four. Hertfordshire were more than happy to keep their shape and let Gwent play in front of them. The strength of Ruddock Yala in the middle of midfield and the handling of keeper Baker-Owers, aligned to the work rate of the team showed maturity beyond their years.

The discipline of the Boreham Wood players in the side, who have built a great understanding of each other’s game, helped Herts to soak up more Gwent pressure and the tactical change of replacing Max Farrelly with Dean Rubinia and Connor Lancaster with George Hunter also paid huge dividends.

Within minutes of the changes Hertfordshire doubled their lead after catching Gwent on the break. Dean Rubinia backed into his centre half, laid of a ball to Harvey Scott Morris, to rifle home a tea pot volley from 12yards out. The game as a contest was now over and the National Schools final now beckons for these young stars and the County Schools of Hertfordshire should be very proud of these young men…

Final Score 2 – 0

Hertfordshire Schools will now face Lancashire in the National Inter County Schools Final at Hillsborough Stadium on Thursday 7th April.

Squad; Cameron Baker-Owers ; Lee Close; David Sesay; Segun Femiola; Stephen Hatch; Charlie Hunter(Capt); Ruddock Yala; Max Farrelly; Liam Griffin; Connor Lancaster; Harvey Scott                          

Subs Jake Wilton; George Hunter (used); Dean Rubina (used); Luke Lane; Korey Stewart; John Addai;

Goal Scorers

Max Farrelly, Harvey Scott-Morris


Share This