Boreham Wood slipped to their first loss in six games, a 3-1 defeat away to Salford City in the National League on Saturday.

The hosts were ahead within three minutes through Tom Walker and then Mark Shelton doubled their lead in the 23rd minute, before a third goal from Rory Gaffney in the second half.

The Wood fought back following the third and Joshua Umerah pulled a goal back, but Salford were able to hold onto the lead and take all three points.

Femi Ilesanmi came in at left-wing back, with Ricky Shakes in midfield and Justin Shaibu partnering Umerah upfront.

It was a blistering start by the hosts who took the lead just three minutes in. Danny Lloyd crossed from the left and Gaffney headed it back across the box to Walker who poked it past Huddart.

A freekick from Lloyd was then struck off target by Carl Piergianni, as they searched for an early second.

Luke Garrard’s side were slowly growing into the game and a nice turn from Umerah was followed up by a pass to Keiran Murtagh, but he curled his shot over the crossbar.

However, the hosts were soon on the attack again and Lloyd looked to have beaten Huddart with a cool chip, but it drifted narrowly past the post.

The second goal did come shortly after the 20 minute mark, thanks to an unbelievable strike from Shelton. The midfielder curled a stunning half-volley into the top right corner, from 25-yards out.

Lloyd was making the Ammies’ attacking play tick and charged into the box on the counter, before driving a vicious shot into the side netting.

The Wood called for a penalty following a free-kick from Keiran Murtagh that appeared to strike the hand of an Ammies’ defender, but the referee waved play on.

The home side were finding joy down the left-hand side and Gaffney worked his way into the Wood area from that channel, but his effort crashed against the inside of either post and out.

Garrad made a double change at half-time, bringing on both Gozie Ugwu and Sorba Thomas and they looked better for it.

Within minutes of the restart, Thomas flashed the ball across the box and Umerah knocked it towards goal, but Chris Neal saved the attempt.

However, just as the Wood were beginning to take control of the affair, Salford added a third on the counter. Ibou Touray flew down the left-wing and crossed it low across the box to the back post, where Gaffney was waiting to tap home.

There was an instant reply from the Wood and it was the inform Umerah who got the goal. Shakes threaded the forward through into the box and he launched it with power past Neal and into the top left corner.

Graham Alexander’s side sat back following the goal, but Tom Champion nearly found joy from a corner, his header narrowly off-target.

Salford countered, and Lloyd nodded the ball over Jamal Fyfield and Rooney connected with it, but he thumped it past the post on the turn.

Mark Ricketts headed a loose ball into the box from the edge of the area and Thomas twisted it towards Neal, but the stopper claimed with ease.

Umerah very nearly had a second with 15 minutes to play. The forward broke into the box and fired an effort at Neal from close range, who parried it wide. Umerah then reclaimed the ball, but couldn’t find a way past the ‘keeper from a tight angle.

There was one final chance for Garrard’s side as Shakes swung a first-time cross into the box and it fell to Fyfield who pulled it back, but Salford intercepted and cleared.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Thomas 45’), Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Umerah, Murtagh, Fyfield, Shaibu (Ugwu 45’)

Subs not used: Balcombe, Parry, Smith  

Salford City: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Piergianni, Rooney © (Rodney 79’), Lloyd (Hogan 79’), Walker (Maynard 70’), Whitehead, Shelton, Pond, Gaffney

Subs not used: Crocombe, Haughton


The Wood: Umerah 56’

Salford City: Walker 3’, Shelton 22’, Gaffney 53’

Attendance: 2,006


Share This