Boreham Wood climbed back up to fourth in the National League in emphatic fashion, with a 4-2 win over Chester.

Michael Folivi took just seven minutes to net on his first league start for Boreham Wood, before Bruno Andrade doubled the lead on the brink of half-time.

The final member of the home front-three added his name to the scoresheet in the 58th minute, when Morgan Ferrier fired home.  

Chester were able to pull a goal back in the 74th minute through a well worked move, finished off by Oluwasen Akintunde. A strike that they replicated in the 94th minute.  

However, Ricky Shakes had already added a fourth Boreham Wood goal, and confirmed the three points, with a powerful injury-time strike.

Luke Garrard had made one change from the side who lost to Macclesfield Town, as Michael Folivi replaced Alex Davey. That saw Danny Woodards move into the back three, with Ricky Shakes at left-wing-back.

Folivi’s seventh minute strike was the first real slice of action in the match. The on-loan Watford forward had laid the ball to Bruno Andrade, whose volleyed strike took a deflection back off him and looped above the Chester ‘keeper

Andrade proved creator once again minutes later, when his surging run and whipped ball was powerfully headed by Keiran Murtagh, but well-saved by Andy Firth.

Former Boreham Wood man Harry White then drew a save from Grant Smith. Akintunde’s through ball was met by the striker and fired at the Wood goal, but Smith was down quickly to make the block.

Ferrier done excellently to break down the left-wing and battle around Jamie Jones on the by-line, but his low ball was fired over by Kane Smith.

Akintunde then ghosted through the Wood midfield all too easily, but he played wide to Craig Mahon who sent the ball flying wide.

Chester were growing into the game and Mahon weaved his way into the Wood box, but his low ball was cleared by Kane Smith, with Akintunde lurking.

Smith then broke down the right for the home side and whipped a ball across for Ferrier, however, he headed over the crossbar. A curling Folivi effort from the edge of the area was later claimed by Firth.

A penalty was awarded to the hosts on the brink of half-time, when Kane Smith was brought down in the Chester area by Akintunde. Andrade stepped up and confidently thundered the ball into the bottom left corner.

Chester returned for the second half looking for a way back into the game, but White’s drive from distance was deflected wide. The subsequent corner was knocked out for a throw-in.

Garrard’s side reacted with Woodards meeting Andrade’s corner, but his header was inches wide. Andrade snapped up a loose ball in the box, but could only poke wide from close-range.

A superb run from Ferrier saw him charge his way into the penalty box, he then dragged the ball back and thumped it past Firth.

Following his goal, the forward linked up with Folivi on the edge of the area, but Folivi looped his effort over the bar.

Centre-back David Stephens showed his ability on the ball with some slick footwork in the Chester area, following a free-kick. His eventual low-ball across goal was met by Folivi, but his strike was blocked, and Firth saved excellently from Murtagh.

A brace for Ferrier was prevented by the offside flag, when he saw a close-range effort ruled out.

The visitors pulled one back with just over 15 minutes to play, when Oluwasen Akintunde was fed through by Tom Crawford and slotted past Grant Smith.

Andrade responded with a sweeping free-kick, that he sent just inches shy of the post.

In injury time, Shakes surged into the area, dropped his shoulder right and lashed the ball past Firth and in off the underside of the bar.

Chester ensured the gap remain just the two goals, when they netted a strike almost identical to the first. Akintunde was fed through by Crawford and he placed the ball into the net.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade (Davey 87’), Folivi (Sach 72’), Ferrier

Subs not used: Harfield, Quigley Doe

Chester: Firth, Astles, Mahon, White (Brown 68’), Hobson, Vose, Jones (Downes 87’), Akintunde, Crawford, Roberts (Cunningham 78’), Anderson

Subs not used: Archer, Gough


The Wood: Folivi 7’, Andrade 44’, Ferrier 58’, Shakes 91’ 

Chester: Akintunde 74’ 94’

Attendance: 501



Share This