Boreham Wood suffered Promotion Final heartbreak, as they lost 2-1 to 10-men Tranmere Rovers, at Wembley Stadium. 

Liam Ridehalgh was given his marching orders just 40 seconds into the match. However, Andy Cook opened the scoring six minutes later.

Andrade brought it level with an important goal on the brink of half-time. But, it wasn’t to be for the battling and spirited Wood, as James Norwood sealed promotion, with an 81st minute winner.

The loss does not take away from the fact that the 2018/19 season remains the most successful in the club’s history, and manager Luke Garrard assured supporters that the side will return stronger for the experience.  

Garrard stuck with the same 11 that featured at Sutton United, as Michael Folivi once again partnered Bruno Andrade up-front, with Scott Doe in centre back.

Tranmere suffered an early sending off, when Ridehalgh was shown red for a two-footed challenge on Ricky Shakes.

However, the sending off galvanised the former Football League giants, and Cook leapt highest in the box to meet Norwood’s dinked cross, just minutes later.

The Wood did not let the opener faze them and Andrade battled the ball from Steve McNulty, slipping Folivi through, but Davies beat him to it.

The Wood’s leading scorer was proving a thorn in their side; he weaved his way into the box once again, but his shot was blocked wide. David Stephens’ header at the subsequent corner, was also blocked wide.

Tranmere were sticking every man behind the ball, but hitting the Wood on the break. The impressive Norwood and Cook linked up once again in the box, but Cook’s shot was deflected wide.

Struggling to break down the stubborn Rovers’ outfit, Folivi was fed through by Angelo Balanta, but Davies saved.

The Wood had a much-needed equaliser on the brink of half-time, with a moved that started, and ended, with Andrade.

The forward began the move with a superb cross-field ball to Ricky Shakes, who pulled it back into the box for Andrade to lash home.

Wood returned from the break and Grant Smith was needed straight away, making an unbelievable save from Connor Jennings’ shot.

Looking to take the lead, Andrade attempted to curl a left-wing free-kick into the bottom corner, but Davies made a smart save.

Cook and Norwood continued to cause problems, and both got onto the end of corners, but couldn’t convert their headers.

An Andrade corner caused chaos in the Tranmere area, after Davies had dropped it, but no one could poke home.

Tranmere netted the winner nine minutes from time, when Norwood met Jennings’ cross into the box and sent a powerful header past Smith, despite the stopper getting a hand to it.

Substitute Joe Quigley attempted to go around the outside of his marker and into the area, but he was dispossessed.

A ball from Balanta found Shakes in the area, but he was surrounded by white shirts and unable to get a shot away, all but confirming promotion for Tranmere Rovers.

Tranmere Rovers: : Davies, Monthe, McNulty, Sutton (Harris 45+5’), Ridehalgh, Cole (Clarke 9’), Hughes, Norburn, Ginnelly (Jennings 33’), Cook, Norwood

Subs not used: Taylor, Mangan

The Wood: G Smith, Shakes, Champion, Stephens, Doe, Woodards, Ricketts, Murtagh, Balanta, Folivi (Quigley 70’), Andrade 0-0


Tranmere Rovers: Cook 7’, Norwood 81’

The Wood: Andrade 45+8’  

Red card: Ridehalgh 1’

Attendance: 16,306


Share This