Boreham Wood were denied a more than deserved point against title chasing Salford City thanks to a 89th minute strike from Matt Green. 

Two goals inside 20 first half minutes from Carl Piergianni and Liam Hogan put the visitors firmly in control. Ralston Gabriel pulled one back from the spot after Justin Shaibu was fouled in the box. Kieron Murtagh levelled the game with a great finish with 20 minutes to go, however it was to be heart break for the Wood as Matt Green secured all 3 points for the visitors with just two minutes remaining. 

Luke Garrard made wholesale changes from the side that defeated Cheshunt in midweek. There was however a first league appearance in nearly 11 months for Kane Smith after sustaining a nasty injury in last years play-off campaign.

It was a slow start from Luke Garrard’s men who found themselves one nil down inside six minutes. A corner taken from the left by Redmond found Piergianni completely unmarked 8 yards from goal – who made no mistake in finding the back of the net

Wood responded positively with some neat passages of play without really causing the Salford defence any issues. Though with all that the Wood soon found themselves to be two goals down. A throw in over on the left saw a hopeful ball put into the box that evaded everyone except Liam Hogan at the back post who headed beyond the helpless Huddart.

Wood continued to try and play, Ricketts with a forward pass to Smith who crossed for Murtagh. His first time shot was blocked and ricocheted in the Air, Shaibu in challenging for the loose ball was pushed to the ground with Referee Hulme pointing to the sport. Gabriel stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way.

Murtagh was soon in the referee’s notebook for pulling back on Rooney after giving the ball away in a dangerous area.

There was a change just before the half time as Manny Parry replaced David Stephens who hobbled off with what looked to be a muscle injury.

It was Wood that continued to look the more dangerous side, a free kick from the right was flicked on by Parry to Gabriel who tried to flick the ball beyond Neal but couldn’t generate enough power to send it over the line allowing Piergianni to clear the danger.

It really was Wood in the second half Kane Smith down the right flank twisted and turned getting his shot away that was deflected for a corner. A short Wood corner from Fyfield to Murtagh saw Fyfield on his left wood shot narrowly wide of the far post.

Wood who were playing some of their best football of the season got a deserved equaliser on 70 minutes, Shakes intercepted the ball in the Salford half, drove at the defence before sliding in Murtagh who made no mistake in firing past Neal.

Salford gaffer Graham Alexander responded with a double substitution. On came Dean Gaffney and Matt Green in place of Dieseruvwe and Pond. Despite the Wood still having the better chances and lion share of possession. It was the sub Matt Green that gifted the away sides all 3 points in 88th minute. Gaffney down the right was afforded to much space, which allowed him to cross across the wood box with pace, Green who was not tracked by his man first time coolly slotted beyond Huddart.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Stephens (Parry 45), Shakes, Champion, Gabriel, Murtagh, Fyfield, Smith (Kanu 85), Shaibu (Ash 75)

Subs not used: Legg, Cooper

Goals: Gabriel 26, Murtagh 70.

Att: 854


Share This