Boreham Wood rose back up to third place in the National League with a 1-0 win over 10-man Wrexham.

A Bruno Andrade penalty in just the eighth minute put the Wood ahead, after the forward had been brought down by Manny Smith.

Kevin Roberts was sent off for Wrexham in a fiery opening five minutes of the second half, after an off-the-ball altercation with Bruno Andrade.

Danny Woodards had slotted in at left-wing back, with Ricky Shakes in behind Bruno Andrade and Morgan Ferrier, whose marriage of power, pace and technique proved a thorn in their side all game.

Two early crosses from Woodards tested the Wrexham resolve early on, but neither cross reached its intended target.

Andrade had crept into the home box, but he was shoved to the ground by Smith, with the referee pointing to the spot. Andrade stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty.

The goal hadn’t awoken Wrexham and Luke Garrard’s side continued to control the match. Jamie Turley leapt to meet Keiran Murtagh’s free-kick, but his header failed to test Chris Dunn.

Kane Smith done superbly to chase down and battle a loose ball from James Jennings and tee off Ferrier, however, the striker’s cross was blocked.

Tom Champion leapt to meet Andrade’s corner, but could only send his header past the post. Ricky Shakes then glided a shot wide from 20-yards.

A long ball forward caught the visitor’s backline off-guard, but David Stephens and Jamie Turley recovered well to clear the danger.

Chris Holroyd then broke into the box for the hosts, but Champion was there to block wide.

On the brink of half-time, a superb long-ball from Murtagh split the Wrexham backline and reached Andrade, but the hosts recovered well, and Shaun Pearson blocked clear.

Tempers rose in the opening minutes of the second half and Kevin Roberts was given his marching orders following a clash with Bruno Andrade, off the ball.

With Wrexham down to ten men, Garrard urged his side forward and Ferrier responded by beating Smith for pace down the left, but a lack of options in the final third saw the hosts clear.

The powerful forward beat Smith down the left yet again just minutes later, and this time the defender hauled Ferrier down on the edge of the box. Andrade’s free-kick drew a strong save from Dunn, who pushed it out of the bottom corner.

The home side couldn’t handle Ferrier up-front as he burst around the back of his marker and down the by-line, but Pearson thrashed his cross away.

Scott Quigley broke forward for the hosts and drove a stinging shot at goal from the edge of the area, but it deflected wide.

Six added minutes spread a nervousness around the travelling Wood Army support, who had been in full voice all game.

Pearson jumped above his marker at a corner, but could only send his header over. A goalmouth scramble followed, before Pearson thumped a strike over the crossbar.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Ricketts, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade (Folivi 85’), Turley, Ferrier (Quigley 94’) 

Subs not used: Harfield, Doe, Davey

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Roberts, Franks (Ainge 54’), Pearson, Smith, Wedgbury, Kelly, Boden (Raven 48’), Holroyd, Quigley (Mackreth 74’)

Subs not used: Rutherford, Wright

Red card:

Wrexham: Roberts


The Wood: Andrade

Attendance: 4,700


Share This