Boreham Wood broke into the National League playoffs, thanks to a 2-1 win over Anthony Limbrick’s Woking.

Tom Champion netted the opener, with a powerful header in the 22nd minute, as the Wood dominated the early exchanges.

Woking stopper Sam Mason saved his side on numerous occasions, including multiple close-range attempts from Wood loanee Dan Holman. 

However, Bruno Andrade then netted his tenth league goal of the campaign, powerful driving the ball past Mason and into the bottom left corner.

Woking pulled it back late on, with a stunning volleyed strike from Inih Effiong, but was it was too little too late, as the Wood held on for the win.

The win takes Luke Garrard’s side into seventh place, in the National League, ahead of their high-profile FA Cup Second Round tie with Coventry City.  

Following his brace in midweek, Holman led the line alongside Andrade, with a defensive trio of Dean Wells, Champion and David Stephens at the back.

The Wood thought they had taken lead inside 10 minutes, as Stephens headed on Andrade’s free kick and Holman poked it past Mason, but somehow, it was cleared from the line by Nathan Ralph.

The opening exchanges were all Wood, and the ball fell sweetly to Mark Ricketts, but his volleyed attempt was deflected wide.

The deadlock was broken from a corner, as Champion leapt highest to head past Mason and into the bottom left corner.

Having taken the lead, the Wood continued to dominant, and Holman snatched the ball from Jordan Wynter, and crossed for Turgott, but he was unable to turn it in.

Chances were few and far between for Woking, and this continued as Ralph’s curling free kick was easily claimed by Smith.

A second free-kick, this time from ex-Wood midfielder Chez Isaac, was more dangerous and headed on by Richard Orlu, but Smith was out to claim again, beating Effiong to the ball

Holman continued to trouble the Woking defence, but this time, his thrashed strike, was deflected out for a corner.

Blair Turgott had broken into the Woking area and was sent flying to the floor, everyone looked to the spot, but the referee waved play on.

Continuing to control proceedings, Andrade crashed a free kick against the wall, it rebounded back to the forward, but his second strike hit the wall again.

Slick play between Andrade, Holman and Kane Smith released the latter through on goal, but Mason saved his strike well.

Mason had kept his team in the game, and continued to do so, somehow keeping out Holman’s close-range strike.

Down the right-wing, Smith sent the ball low across the box, it only needed a touch to take it past Mason, but Holman couldn’t quite reach it.

Champion’s free kick evaded the Woking defence, but Andrade couldn’t poke past Mason from a difficult position.

Philpot sent the ball dangerously into the host’s area, but Mark Ricketts was back to blast clear, just as Effiong was about to strike.

Keiran Murtagh played a superb through ball to Andrade, but the Portuguese forward couldn’t direct his effort on target.

However, Andrade did get the goal his efforts deserved. He brilliantly beat his marker down the left to meet Angelo Balanta’s through ball, before fizzling it into the bottom corner.

However, it was to prove to be a nerve-wracking final few minutes for the Wood, as ex-forward Effiong stunned the crowd, firing a volley past Grant Smith.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Ricketts, Wells, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade (Benson 91), Turgott (Balanta 69’), Holman (Jeffers 76’)

Subs not used: Woodards, Bozkurt,

Goals: Champion 22, Andrade 82

Woking: Mason, Ralph, Jones, Orlu, Isaac (Carter 60’), Effiong, Wynter, Philpot, Young (Ramsey 66’), Ferdinand, Ward ( Saraiva 80’)

Subs not used: Baxter, Appau 

Goals: Effiong 91



Share This