Boreham Wood lifted the Herts Senior Cup, with a 2-1 win over Royston Town at Vauxhall Road.

The trophy is Luke Garrard’s first silverware as a manager and was secured by a quick-fire double.  

Angelo Balanta opened the scoring with a stunning free-kick, before Joe Quigley doubled the lead just moments later.

Scott Bridges pulled one back with just under 10 minutes to play, but the Wood were able to hold out for the win.

Garrard made a series of changes for the final, with Scott Doe and Alex Davey both coming into the back three, while Ollie Harfield slotted in at right-wing back and Quigley partnered Michael Folivi up-front.

Grant Smith was called into action early on, pushing Adam Murray’s shot wide. Harfield and Quigley then linked up to feed Ricky Shakes, but his driven shot was blocked.

A stunning long-ball from Balanta sent Folivi through on goal and he slipped past two defenders, but dragged his shot wide.

Balanta was pulling the strings in midfield and his low cross from the right-wing slid inches in-front of Doe’s outstretched leg at the far post.

With the Wood taking a foothold in the game, Quigley met a looping through ball, but his drilled effort was blocked by the impressive Josh Tibbetts.

As they continued to press Royston, Kane Smith went inches from taking the lead, lashing an effort narrowly past the post.

Balanta broke the deadlock with a stunning effort, bending a close-range free-kick over the wall and into the top left corner.

The lead was doubled just two minutes later, when Quigley slipped the ball around Tibbetts and blasted it into the now empty net.

It could have been more shortly after, when Folivi bombed past his marker on the right and sailed an effort at Tibbett, but it was blocked.

Ed Asafu-Adjaye fired a shot well over for Royston in response, before Smith held Sam Corconan’s powered free-kick.

The Wood’s all action display continued in the second period, but Tibbetts was again there to deny them. Folivi broke free and attempted to round the stopper, but Tibbetts clawed the ball from his feet.

Quigley snapped up a loose ball and saw his blocked effort fall to Keiran Murtagh, but Tibbetts somehow tipped the strike onto his crossbar with a spectacular save.

Royston gave themselves a lifeline with nine minutes to play, when a one-two between Gordon and Bridges saw the latter slot past Smith from close-range.

A free-kick from goalscorer Bridges with just seconds on the clock looked dangerous, but was thankfully sent wide.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Harfield, Champion (Woodards 57’), Davey (Stephens 75’), Doe, Ricketts © (Murtagh 57’), Shakes, Balanta, Folivi, Quigley

Subs not used: Ferrier, Andrade

Royston Town: Tibbetts, Asafu-Adjaye (Gaughran 66’), Chappell, Bridges, Murray, Brathwaite, Powell, Corcoran (Gordon 50’), Frendo (Dawson 79’), Thomas, Marriot

Subs not used: Baulk. Nzuruba


The Wood: Balanta 32’, Quigley 34’ 

Royston Town: Bridges 81’


Share This