Boreham Wood got their first win since Boxing Day, with a deserved 0-2 victory over Bromley at Hayes Lane on Saturday.

Ralston Gabriel put his side ahead on the brink of half-time, with his first goal for the club.

The visitors continued to put on a gritty and determined display, before Idris Kanu wrapped up the three points in the 90th minute.

The Wood lined up in a 4-3-3 formation, with Justin Shaibu sitting behind a front three of Sean Shields, Gabriel and Kanu.

There was a promising start from the Wood and Gabriel nearly had an early sight of goal, but David Gregory was out to claim David Stephens’ header across the box.

Bromley got into their attacking stride after a slow start and Keiran Murtagh had to head the ball off the line, after Omar Bugiel had met Frankie Raymond’s corner.

Femi Ilesanmi then put his body on the line to block a certain goal. Raymond had touched JJ Hooper’s low cross to George Porter, who blasted at Ryam Huddart, but Ilesanmi had slid in the block.

At the other end, Kanu was looking dangerous and went to weave his way through the Bromley defence, but he couldn’t find a way through and Gregory held his eventual shot.

The match quietened as it grew towards the half hour mark, but Jake Goodman met a corner from Raymond, but could only head into the hands of Huddart.

Franke Raymond met a free-kick from Luke Coulson and sent it dangerously towards goal, but Huddart pushed it over the bar. The subsequent corner was thrashed at by Bugiel, but Tom Champion put his body in the way to block it just in front of the line.

The Wood took the lead just five minutes before half time, as Bromley failed to deal with Sean Shields’ corner. Idris Kanu picked up the debris and attempted a shot on goal, which deflected into the path of Gabriel, who poked past Gregory.

The forward then snapped up a superb through ball by Murtagh and drove infield. He linked up with Shields, but Bromley had recovered and snatched clear.

Huddart had to be alert early on in the second half against Bromley, as Raymond hit a stinging strike, which was heading towards the top corner, but Huddart acrobatically pushed it away.

Murtagh was the next to get his body in the way, after Coulson had cut inside from the left and hit a snapshot at Huddart. Minutes later, Coulson cut inside onto his right and thundered an effort against the crossbar.

Shields got goal side of Sam Wood and flashed an effort at Gregory, but the ‘keeper was able to push it wide. Dave Stephens then saw his header from the resulting corner blocked.

Slick play between Shields and Kanu ended with the latter wrapping a ball into the box, but it was blocked wide. Champion then sent a venomous volley towards the top corner from the subsequent corner, but it was somehow kept out.

Hooper managed to get a toe onto the end of Richard Brindley’s low cross, but poked wide of Huddart’s left.

The visitors were continuing to get bodies in the way of shots. This time it was Jamal Fyfield who got a block in, to deny Hooper’s twisted strike. Murtagh was then on the line once again at a corner, to deny Marc-Anthony Okoye a headed goal.

The Wood earned themselves breathing space on 90 minutes, thanks to some superb work by Sean Shields. The winger’s footwork opened up space in the box, before Femi Ilesanmi switched the ball to Brad Ash. Ash cut inside and saw his shot spilled by Gregory, into the path of Kanu who tapped home.

Luke Garrard’s side then dug deep through six minutes of injury time to confirm the win.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Champion, Gabriel (Ash 88’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Kanu, Shields, Shaibu (Shakes 74’)

Subs: Legg, Woodards, Parry

Bromley: Gregory, Raymond, Bugiel (Lewis 81’), Higgs (Johnson 63’), Okoye, Goodman (Sarpong-Wiredu 63’), Porter ©, Wood, Brindley, Coulson, Hooper

Subs: Dunne, Philpot

Att: 1,326 (57 away)

Goals: Gabriel 40′, Kanu 90′ 


Share This