Boreham Wood came from a goal down to beat Bromley 2-1 at Meadow Park on Saturday and stretch their unbeaten run to four matches in all competitions.

Omar Bugiel had opened the scoring in the first half, but the Wood battled back into the game and equalised through Justin Shaibu.

An inspired double change in the second half saw substitute Gozie Ugwu net his third league goal for the home side and claim the win.

Luke Garrard made three changes to the side who beat Dagenham & Redbridge on Tuesday night, with Connor Smith, Shaibu and Reeco Hackett-Fairchild all coming into the side.

Bromley were looking to make their mark on the game in the early stages and Frankie Sutherland tried his luck from range, forcing Ryan Huddart into a low save.

Bugiel sparked trouble in his own area when he slipped trying to clear a free-kick, but Mark Ricketts could only send his effort over the woodwork.

The forward soon made amends though when he opened the scoring for the away side, with his fourth of the campaign. Bugiel was able to get in-front of his marker at a corner and head the ball past Huddart and into the top corner.

There was a positive reaction from the home side as Hackett-Fairchild forced David Gregory to spill his cross into the path of Shaibu, but the ‘keeper reacted quickly to reclaim the loose ball.

Sorba Thomas had been praised following the midweek win over Dagenham and was again looking dangerous at right-wing-back. The academy graduate charged down the right channel on the counter and crossed for Shaibu, but he couldn’t find the target.

Hackett-Fairchild was making his return from injury and received a through ball from Smith, who had snatched it from Jack Holland, but he hit it straight into the hands of Gregory.

At the other end, Huddart pulled off a smart reaction save to deny Holland from close-range.

On the brink of half-time, the Wood had their leveller. Smith’s cross ricocheted off two Bromley defenders and Shaibu was alive to tuck it past the goalkeeper inside the area.

George Porter caught the Wood off-guard as he dummied a throw-in and sent it to Sam Wood instead. The full-back side-footed a cross straight onto the head of Holland, but he nodded over the woodwork.

Porter then attempted to snatch the ball off Jamal Fyfield, who was about to clear Bugiel’s low cross, but he could only force a goal-kick.

With the game still level, Garrard made a double change, bringing Joshua Umerah and Ugwu on for Shaibu and Hackett-Fairchild.

Ugwu made an instant impact, scoring with his first touch of the match, to put the Wood in-front. The forward was unmarked at a free-kick and powered Thomas’ cross past Gregory with a header.

Looking to defend their lead, the Wood backline threw themselves in-front of two Bromley shots inside the area, before Adam Mekki curled wide from close-range.

Umerah nearly capped off a superb move. Thomas, Ricketts, Shakes and Ilesanmi all combined before Smith headed the latter’s cross to Umerah, but he lumped it wide

In the dying embers of the game, Bugiel was clean through on goal and had only Huddart to beat, but out of nowhere, Fyfield makes a superb sliding challenge to knock the ball away from his feet and seal the win. 

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Fyfield, Thomas, Smith, Hackett-Fairchild (Umerah 57’), Shaibu (Ugwu 57’) 

Subs not used: Burbidge, Woodards, Stephens

Bromley: Gregory, Sutherland, Holland, Raymond (Okoye 87’), Bugiel, Porter (Mekki 62’), Ogedi-Uzokwe, Goddard (Quigley 60’), Wood, Brindley, Rooney

Subs not used: De Silva, Goodan

Att: 629 (138 away)


Boreham Wood: Shaibu 44’, Ugwu 59’
Bromley: Bugiel 27’


Share This