Boreham Wood  0 – 2 Millwall
Saturday 9th January 2021, 12.00pm
Meadow Park , Emirates FA Cup Third Round 

Boreham Wood’s brave Emirates FA Cup run came to an end at the Third Round stage following a hard fought encounter against Championship side Millwall which ultimately resulted in a 2-0 defeat at Meadow Park.

Boreham Wood made two changes from their line up from the fantastic win at Barnet last week with David Stephens replacing Tom Champion and the returning Junior Morias replacing Corey Whitely in the starting line up. The Wood started the match in a positive fashion with Kabongo Tshimanga quickly on the attack until he was fouled on the edge of the Millwall area by Jake Cooper. The Lions defender received a yellow card for the challenge on Woods number 9. Unfortunately, the given free kick was well over the bar from PASE graduate Sorba Thomas.

Soon afterwards, the on loan Spurs forward Troy Parrott had a good chance for the visitors but dragged his shot wide. Kenneth Zohore then went close with a free kick for the Lions, followed by Parrott who went close after nineteen minutes but shot wide of Nathan Ashmore’s goal. The Wood keeper then made a fantastic save to deny Tyler Burey as Millwall continued to knock on the door. On the half hour, the visitors deservedly took the lead when a driving run into the box by Scott Malone, picked out West Brom loanee Kenneth Zohore who calmly slotted past Ashmore to make it 1-0. Malone struck a shot over the bar soon afterwards. Although the visitors had dominated, the Wood were still well in the game come half time.

Boreham Wood vastly improved in the second half and started to take the game to Millwall. Wood had a penalty appeal turned down when Junior Morias got the better of a Millwall Jake Cooper defender however, referee Benjamin Speedie decided not to point to the spot. After fifty minutes Nathan Ashmore had to be at his best to deny Millwall towering centre half Jake Cooper. A minute later, what looked like a body check on Junior Morias by Cooper, and which should have resulted in a second booking, was denied as the referee somehow kept his cards in his pocket despite giving Wood a freekick, much to the dismay of all in attendance at Meadow Park. It could have been a different game if Boreham Wood were up against ten men for the final forty minutes of the match.

A couple of minutes later, Matt Rhead had an opportunity to equalise for the Wood but blazed his effort over the bar. Millwall then went close twice through Parrott and substitute Tom Bradshaw. The visitors ended the tie when Shaun Hitchinson doubled their lead after heading home from a Malone corner. It was the left sided midfielder’s second assist of the match and the Lions were able to hold out. They will now go into Monday’s Fourth Round FA Cup draw, unfortunately bringing Boreham Wood’s cup run to an end.

It was a brave effort from Boreham Wood, we were still in this historic tie until Millwall got their second goal. This performance was to the credit of Luke Garrard’s men. A realistic Luke Garrard said after the match, “We weren’t good enough to cause an upset but I’m proud of the team for their efforts. They have given the club and the supporters everything. We now have to concentrate on the league and having an FA Trophy run.”

Man of the Match: Nathan Ashmore

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Thomas, Fyfield, Stephens, Ilesanmi, Murtagh (Mingoia 86), Mafuta, Morias (Whitely 68), Rhead (McDonnell 86), Tshimanga (Coulthirst 78).

Subs not used: Huddart, Woodards.

Millwall: Fielding, Hutchinson, Cooper, Zohore (Bradshaw 59), Malone, Pearce, Leonard, Woods (Thompson 78) McNamara, Parrott (Smith 80) Burey (Bodvarsson 59).

Subs not used: Biakowski, Wallace, Ferguson, Romeo, Bennett.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This