Canvey Island 0-3 Boreham Wood
Monday 30th November 2020, 7:45pm
Park Lane, Emirates FA Cup Second Round  

A thoroughly professional performance from Luke Garrard’s men against Canvey Island at Park Lane sealed a place in the Third Round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in the club’s seventy two year history. We will now host Millwall on the weekend of 9th / 10th January.

Boreham Wood welcomed back Kieran Murtagh from injury and included Zaine Francis-Angol as a left wing back to replace Sorba Thomas who was pushed further forward.

With the amount of cup upsets this weekend, Boreham Wood supporters were expecting a tense night. The players set out their stool early to ensure this wasn’t the case. The returning Murtagh went close with a header after two minutes and Thomas, free from the shackles of defensive responsibilities nearly scored two minutes later. After eight minutes Boreham Wood took a well deserved lead after a good run by Mafuta, he played in Tshimanga who twisted and turned before burying a shot past Mason in the Canvey Island goal.

Wood then took firm control of the game and the hosts didn’t really get a look in. After twenty seven minutes the visitors doubled their advantage when after an excellent probing run by Thomas, he played in Kane Smith whose deflected shot, beat Mason at his near post. It was the Canvey keeper Bobby Mason who kept the score respectable going into half time. He made two excellent saves from Sorba Thomas and Matt Rhead.

Boreham Wood continued in pretty much the same vein after the interval. Again Bobby Mason was instrumental on keeping the score down. It was sixty six minutes before Ashmore had something to do, he saved well from a Chatting shot. Assisting by the hordes of Canvey Island supporters who climbed up ladders to watch the action, the hosts finally got a foothold in the game. A goal for them at this stage might have made the final period of the match interesting. The Wood defence, aided by the brilliant Matt Rhead held firm though and the Boreham Wood continued to look dangerous. Tshimanga then should have scored when one on one with Mason.

After eighty two minutes, man of the match Rhead sealed the victory with an excellent header from Tshimanga. His goal celebration was clearly a reaction to a certain amount of abuse he was getting from the Canvey Island supporters who were brave enough to be standing on ladders watching the game.

It was an excellent performance from Boreham Wood. In truth the 3-0 scoreline could have been many more. Sorba Thomas looked comfortable in a more advanced role, Tshimanga was a constant threat and Matt Rhead caused untold havoc for the hosts in both penalty areas in what was surely his best game for Boreham Wood Football Club.

After the match, a delighted Wood Manager Luke Garrard said ” I’m absolutely buzzing and over the moon. We’ve created history. It’s all about making memories and repaying what the Chairman has done for this football club”

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Champion, Fyfield, Illesamni, Mafuta, Murtagh (McDonnell 90), Smith, Francis-Angol, Thomas, Rhead, Tshimanga

Subs Not Used: Huddart, Woodards, Stephens, Mingoia, Coulthirst,

Canvey Island: Mason, Humphreys, Siva, Salmon, Finneran, Girdlestone (Chatting 63), Ronto, Hubble (Lacey 89), Joseph (Charles 78), Kouassi, Hall

Subs Not Used: Hunt, Sampayo, Blackwell, Harris

Man of the Match: Matt Rhead

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This