Boreham Wood vs. Aldershot Town
Saturday 28th August 2021, 3.00pm
Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

Luke Garrard’s men made it two wins out of two at the start of the season in a tight well fought encounter against Aldershot Town at Meadow Park when a towering sixty-fifth minute header from Jamal Fyfield secured all three points for Boreham Wood. Garrard made one change to the line-up following the victory at Weymouth last Saturday with Frankie Raymond coming in for the injured Gus Mafuta.

Boreham Wood were the better side in a quiet first half. The Shots Kodi Lyons-Foster nearly scored an own goal after nine minutes when he deflected a Femi Ilesanmi shot goalwards but the impressive Mitch Walker did well to tip it over. A minute later a goalmouth scrabble nearly created an opening goal for the home side but there were denied by some heroic Aldershot defending. On fifteen minutes, a good move involving Ilesamni and Tyrone Marsh created a chance for Scott Hoden who failed to connect from Marsh’s cross. Three minutes later, some excellent interplay between Tommy Willard and Corie Andrews created an opening for Jayden Harris who hit the post, only for him to be ruled offside.

The second period was much more entertaining, though in some respected it was quite bad-tempered with a spate of bookings. On fifty-three minutes a Lewis Kinsella free kick was nearly turned into his own goal by Ilesamni. Five minutes later Kinsella forced a save from Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal. Soon afterwards, an excellent save by Mitch Walker denied Scott Boden following the former Chesterfield forward’s point blank header. Four minutes later Walker produced a world class save to somehow keep out Jacob Mendy Mendy’s long range shot. However. from the resulting corner Boreham Wood took the lead. Frankie Raymond’s delivery met the head of Jamal Fyfield who climbed the highest to score what proved to be the winner. The Shots weren’t finished yet and Kevin Lokko and Ibrahim Akanbi both produced saved from Ashmore in the Wood goal. Toby Edser then hit a well struck free kick over the bar. In injury time another well struck free kick, this time from Akanbi was well saved by Ashmore. Wood managed to see out the five minutes of added time to clinch the three points.

It was a solid if unspectacular performance from Boreham Wood in a match that for the most part lacked real quality. However, Wood always looked the most likely to win and team held on reasonably comfortably to the lead once Fyfield scores. There seems to be a real dogged determination around Luke Garrard’s men and he will be a happy man going into the Dover Athletic match on Bank Holiday Monday.

Boreham Wood (3-5-2): Ashmore, Ilesamni, Ricketts, Evans, Rees, Boden, Marsh, Raymond (C.Smith 70), Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K.Smith.

Subs not used: Green, Stephens, Munns, Jallow,

Aldershot Town (4-3-3): Walker, Kinsella, Lokko, Lyons-Foster, Edser, Berkeley-Agyepong, Andrews (Akanbi 66) Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Harris (Whittingham 87), Willard (Watts 76)

Subs not used: Hall, Fowler

Star Man: Jamal Fyfield

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This