Boreham Wood returned to both winning ways and the National League playoffs with a 2-0 victory over Torquay United at Meadow Park.  

It took just 11 minutes for the Wood to get off the mark, with Angelo Balanta heading home from a corner.  

Despite considerable pressure, the visitor’s struggled to create any true goal-scoring chances, as the Wood’s defence kept them at bay.

The Wood looked comfortable during the second half and earned a two-goal cushion from the penalty spot after Bruno Andrade had been taken down in the area.

Aaron Jarvis made his full debut for the Wood upfront with Andrade, while Noah Chesmain came in at left-wing-back for Ricky Shakes.

There was early pressure from Jarvis down the right-hand side, and he attempted to pass his marker, but was dispossessed. Ruari Keating countered for Torquay United, but Chesmain was back to recover the ball and clear.

A low cross from Jamie Reid allowed Keating to get across his man in the box, but he put the ball over from a difficult position.

Andrade had looked lively in the opening exchanges and done superbly to keep the ball in play at the far corner; Chesmain took the ball and crossed for Balanta, who teed off Mark Rickets, but his shot was blocked.

Just a minute later, Andrade again kept the ball in play against the odds and he crossed low, but it evaded his strike partner.

The Wood were ahead shortly after the ten-minute mark, The Gulls failed to deal with Andrade’s whipped corner and Balanta leapt highest to head past Vincent Dorel.

David Stephens sent a powerful long-ball up from the back and it met the chest of Andrade, who rounded Alex Davey and looked to strike, but the defender nipped in to take it from his feet.

Jake Gosling nearly wriggled through the host’s defence with Reid alongside him, but after skipping past one, he was crowded out.

Balanta flashed the ball low across the visitor’s box and Andrade attempted to strike on the turn, but was taken off balance by Axel Andresson.

The attacking midfielder then flicked a header over Davey and Jarvis chased it down, but he was beaten to it inside of the box.

A superb ball from Murtagh found Andrade and he fizzled low at Dorel, but the stopper held.

Luke Young had done well down the left-wing for Torquay United and beaten his marker, but his eventual cross was poor.

Gosling was the danger man for the visitors and struck at Grant Smith from a tight angle, but the official pulled him back for offside.

Torquay’s cross was then flicked across the box and Ricketts had to react quickly to head it over the crossbar.

Turgott skipped down the right wing and curved a low cross across the area, but Dorel collected. However, as the stopper went to take the kick, the referee pulled it back for a penalty, Andrade had been taken down in the area as he attempted to meet the cross.

The Portuguese striker stepped up and confidently struck past Vincent Dorel, with ten minutes to go.  

With a two-goal cushion and some fancy footwork, Andrade rounded his marker and crossed low into the box, but Dorel caught.

With the game in injury time, Shaun Jeffers cut inside and fired a shot just wide of the post. 

Boreham Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Turley, Balanta (Turgott 77), Chesmain (Shakes 62), Jarvis (Jeffers 82)

Subs not used: Bozkurt, Thomas

Torquay United: Dorel, Efete, Davies, Lathrope, McGinty ©, Young, Keating (Pittman 45), Gosling (Gnabouyou 77), Reid, Davey, Andresson (Myrie-Williams 68)

Subs not used: Clarke

Goals: Balanta 11’, Andrade 80’


Share This