Despite a host of chances, the Wood fell to a disappointing 0-1 loss at home to Wrexham.

Alex Reid put the home side infront in the 61st minute, and for all Boreham Wood’s chances, they couldn’t break the deadlock.

Paul Benson battled for the ball in the area and stabbed at a shot at Christian Dibble, but the stopper parried clear.

The Wood should have taken the lead inside three minutes, Kane Smith countered for the Wood and slotted the ball across the box for Keiran Murtagh, but his placed shot was blocked wide by Dibble.

From the corner, the ball fell kindly for Angelo Balanta who cracked a volley goal wards, but it was blocked by Smith.

It had been an open start to the game and both sides were attacking with intent; Alex Reid leapt highest to meet Paul Rutherford’s curling cross and nodded it into the left corner, but Grant Smith was down to push wide.

The in-form Bruno Andrade was then slipped through by Balanta, but his driven effort sailed over the crossbar from a tight angle.

The Wood were having a spell of dominance when a miss-placed pass from the Wrexham defence fell to the feet of Andrade, but his powerful strike was held by Dibble.

Ntumba Massanka twisted and turned his way around the Wood box, but Ricky Shakes was back to block as he attempts to strike.

Reid then crossed for Massanka who headed the ball into the top right corner, but Smith acrobatically palmed it wide.

Looking to regain control of the match, Andrade pushed forward and let lose a powerful 25-yard strike, but it deflected out for a corner. Still attacking, Balanta received the ball on the turn and curled a shot just over the crossbar.

The energetic Smith then worked his way into the box and dragged the ball across the goal mouth, but no one could turn it in.

Andrade collected the ball from 20-yards and pinpointed his cross onto the head of Benson, but he couldn’t quite direct it goal wards.

With the match still goalless, Reid darted forward for Wrexham but was brought down by Ricketts, winning a free-kick in the process. The resulting set piece was played straight onto the head of Pearson, who headed just wide of the mark.

Wrexham did then break the deadlock, Alex Reid met Rutherford’s corner and nodded the away side in-front.

In search of a second, Wrexham sent a long ball forward, which found its way to Akil Wright, but he blazed a half volley just over the woodwork.

The Wood were desperate to level, and a corner was recycled towards Balanta, but the attacker fizzled a half-volley just past the post.

Ten minutes remained and the both sides continued to push forward, James Hurst thundered a shot at Smith from 30-yards, but the stopper parried and Ricketts blasted clears.

In the dying embers of the game, a long throw from Dean Wells was met by the head of both Dave Stephens and Smith, but both attempts were saved.

Andrade was next to go close for the Wood, blazing a long-range effort over the cross bar.

The Wood then went agonisingly close again, Dibble clawed the ball off the line following a header from Andrade.

Smith then cut inside and fired a shot at Dibble who parried, Andrade struck the rebound on the turn, Dibble parried once more and Balanta then blazed a half-volley over the crossbar.

The Wood: G Smith, Wells, Stephens, Champion, K Smith, Shakes, Murtagh (Sach 82), Ricketts, Balanta, Benson (Jeffers 68), Andrade

Subs not used: Bozkurt (GK), Woodards, Keita

Wrexham: Dibble, Hurst, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford, Widegbury, Wright, L Smith (Kelly 57), Massanka (Boden 63), Reid 

Subs not used: Dunn, Carrington, Kelly, Roberts


Wrexham: Reid (61)

Attendance: 765


Share This