Boreham Wood secured their place in another Hertfordshire FA Senior Cup with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Cheshunt at Meadow Park.

A goal in either half from Idris Kanu (Pen) and a Jamal Fyfield was enough to see Luke Garrard’s men book their place in the final against local rivals St Albans City

Luke Garrard made eight changes from the side that started at Harrogate last Saturday.

The Wood began the game brightly and carved their first chance with just 5 minutes on the clock. Manny Parry slid the ball down the left hand channel for Sorba Thomas who glided past his man crossing for Bradley Ash. Ash twisted on the edge of the box before shooting straight at Girling in the Cheshunt goal.

As would be expected Wood controlled the possession from the get go, but were struggling to carve out clear cut chances against a very determined Cheshunt side. Sean Shields came close with a effort from 25 yards that went just wide of the post.

It was Shields again who had a great opportunity to give the Wood the lead, Girling made a complete has of his clearance gifting the ball to Shields 18 yards from goal. Shields travelled into the box but pulled his effort wide with just the keeper to beat.

Just a minute later Wood did manage to break the deadlock, a superb through ball from Sorba Thomas to Idris Kanu saw the former tripped in the box leaving the referee no option but to point to the spot. Kanu picked himself up to take the spot kick sending Girling the wrong way.

Wood began the second half as they did the first having much of the play, although a lack in concentration at the back nearly gifted Cheshunt a rare opportunity in front of goal, however Tom Champion sniffed the danger and cleared his lines for a corner.

The returning Kane Smith almost doubled the home sides lead with a great piece of individual skill. Smith picked the ball up just inside the Cheshunt half, took on his man and found space 30 yards out for a left footed effort that cannoned back off the bar.

Searching for a way back into the game Craig Edwards made all his changes in the space off 5 minutes , which included the introduction of 6ft 8 striker Al Hafeez-Sanusi to try and cause havoc in the Wood penalty area.

It wasn’t long though before the Wood doubled their advantage and put the game to bed. Having earn’t a corner Shields delivered a perfect ball into the box for Fyfield to get ahead of his man and head past the stranded Girling.

With the game heading towards it’s end, Wood carved out a further couple of opportunities without adding to the goals tally. However got the job done and booked their place in the final of the Hertfordshire Senior Cup.

The Wood: Legg, Parry, Champion, Murtagh (Shakes 83), Ash, Fyfield, Thomas, Cooper, Kanu, Shields, Smith (Gabriel 80)

Subs not used: Huddart, Ricketts, Stephens

Goals: Kanu 40, Fyfield 75

Att: 101


Share This