Blue Square Bet South

Boreham Wood    2    Thurrock    1

by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood recorded its first victory of the 2011/12 Season, when it beat Thurrock 2 – 1 at Meadow Park, on Saturday.

Wood Manager Ian Allinson recalled midfielder Daryl McMahon to his starting line-up, after injury, and included forward Simeon Akinola in place of Pelly Ruddock.    Meanwhile Thurrock were without star forward Lee Boylan, through injury, and included new Loan signing Alex Osborn in his place.

Although Wood started the game on the attack, it was the visitors who took an early lead after only four minutes, when Alex Osborn shot past Elvijs Putnins from close range.

Soon after, Putnins made a superb one handed diving save to prevent the lively Reece Harris from increasing Thurrock’s lead.

Wood gradually fought their way back into the game and gained a free kick after
twenty-five minutes, when Skipper Mario Noto was fouled.    Daryl McMahon’s free kick found Luke Wilkinson unmarked at the far post and he firmly headed the ball wide of Craig Holloway, for the equaliser.

Wood continued to pressure the Thurrock defence and both Daniel Brathwaite and Sam Hurrell caused them problems on the left wing.    Then David Bryant was heavily brought down in the penalty area, but the Referee waved play on!

Thurrock then forced a corner kick, which was cleared as far as ex-Wood midfielder Dean Cracknell, but his shot went high over the crossbar.    At the opposite end, Inih Effiong had a long range shot saved by Holloway, diving to his left.

Wood finally gained a 2 – 1 lead after forty-two minutes, when Daryl McMahon raced
clear on the right wing and sent over the perfect cross to David Bryant, who headed the ball past Holloway, for his second goal in successive matches.

Wood continued to attack the Thurrock defence throughout the second half, but failed to add to the score.    Osei Sankofa went close with a right wing cross shot, then David Bryant had a shot blocked and Inih Effiong struck the rebound over the crossbar, when well placed.

Midway through the half Sam Hurrell crossed from the left to Daryl McMahon who almost got his name on the score sheet, before Thurrock’s best spell of the second half saw them force three successive corner kicks.    Joe Bruce had a long range shot blocked on the line by a Wood defender.

Substitutes Pelly Ruddock and Ollie Palmer replaced Akinola and Effiong for Boreham Wood in the closing stages, but the score remained at 2 – 1 when the final whistle blew.

Team:    Putnins, Sankofa, Brathwaite, Bryant, Wilkinson, O’Loughlin, Akinola (Sub – Ruddock 76 mins.), McMahon, Effiong (Sub – Palmer 81 mins.), Noto, Hurrell.

Subs (Not used):    O’Leary, Smith, Hunter.

Bookings:    McMahon, Sankofa.

Goals:    Boreham Wood:    Wilkinson 25, Bryant 42.           Thurrock:    Osborn 4.

Man of The Match:    Daryl McMahon.


Share This