Blue Square Bet South

 St. Albans City    0    Boreham Wood    1

 by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood’s second successive victory in the space of four days was also the Club’s first ever away win in the Blue Square Bet South, when it visited near neighbours and local rivals St. Albans City on Tuesday evening.

Boreham Wood made one change to the starting line-up with Gareth Risbridger replacing Jordan Hibbert, whilst St. Albans City introduced two teenagers on work experience, from Peterborough United, Jacob Joyce and Joe Newell, for their First Team debuts.

Ali Chaaban, Wood’s lively striker, caused many problems for the home side, and could easily have given Wood a lead on several occasions, but lacked the finish.    As Wood continually attacked, Greg Morgan unleashed a low left footed shot from distance, but veteran ‘keeper Paul Bastock saved well.    Meanwhile at the other end Wood’s defence had a tight control of the St. Albans City attack.

Midway through the half St. Albans did manage to force successive corner kicks either side of the Wood goal, but the visiting defence dealt capably with the danger.    Wood defender Luke Wilkinson managed to scramble the ball into the net in the 36th minute, but was adjudged offside by an Assistant Referee.    Seconds later Luke Garrard and Elliott Godfrey combined to set Ali Chaaban free.    He rounded Paul Bastock, but his shot was blocked by Ben Martin in front of goal.

Wood eventually took a deserved lead after forty-one minutes.    Mike Cestor created an opening on the left for Nicky Nicolau and he crossed for Greg Morgan who shot into the net from close range.

Three minutes later St. Albans City had their best chance of the game, Joe Newell had a shot partially blocked by Elvijs Putnins and Jacob Joyce followed up only to see his shot brilliantly headed over his own crossbar by a diving Luke Garrard.

St. Albans City started the second half in lively fashion, and quickly introduced impressive Substitute Sean Shields on the right wing.    Wood goalkeeper Elvijs Putnins was in excellent form and he made several good saves, and handled crosses very confidently.    Putnins made a fine blocking save to prevent the ex-Wood forward Inih Effiong from scoring after sixty-three minutes.    Then a Sean Shields cross was superbly caught by Putnins and cleared upfield.

Wood then began to dominate in the later stages and a Mario Noto pass sent Ali Chaaban clear but his shot towards goal at the near post was well saved by Paul Bastock.

Wood made a couple of late Substitutions in an attempt to freshen up their attack with Ola Sogbanmu and Jordan Hibbert replacing Morgan and Godfrey, but the score remained at 0 – 1 and three more important points for Boreham Wood.

Boreham Wood Team:    Putnins, Garrard, Cestor, Moran, Wilkinson, Noto, Morgan (Sub – Sogbanmu 75 mins.), Godfrey (Sub – Hibbert 87 mins.), Chaaban, Risbridger, Nicolau.

Subs (Not used):    Kamara, Aisien and Adjei.

Goal:    Boreham Wood:    Morgan    41.

Man of the Match:    Elvijs Putnins.


Share This