Boreham Wood struck twice in the first half to secure their progression into the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup, with a 2-1 win over Hemel Hempstead Town at Meadow Park.  

Bradley Ash opened the scoring inside two minutes, before Jamal Fyfield doubled the lead from a set-piece, 13 minutes later.

Hemel pulled one back through Daniel Rowe, but Wood were able to see the game out, with an accomplished performance.

Wood made a number of changes from the loss to Sutton United, as Manny Parry, Charlie Cooper, Bradley Ash, Idris Kanu, Danny Woodards and Ryan Huddart all came into the starting

The most pleasing inclusion though, was the long-awaited return of full-back Kane Smith, who was making his first Wood start since a serious knee injury in the 2018 play-off quarter-

Wood got off to the best possible start, as Bradley Ash opened the scoring inside two minutes. Ralston Gabriel was found in plenty of space in the centre of the park and slipped a through ball to Ash, who lashed it past Laurie

Luke Garrard’s side continued with a high-intensity as Cooper and Ash linked up nicely on the edge of the box. With his back to goal, Ash attempted to flick the ball around his marker, but was brought to ground, winning a free-kick.

Jamal Fyfield stepped up to take the set-piece and thundered the ball from 20-yards at Walker. The stopper was unable to handle the power of the shot and spilled it into his

This sparked Hemel into life, who soon found a way back into the tie. Rowe spotted Ryan Huddart off his line and tried his luck from near the half-way line. His strike looped over the top of the backtracking Huddart and into the back of the

Herscha Sanchez-Watt and Parry battled for the ball near the Wood’s box and the Hemel forward came out on top, charging towards Huddart. Watt cut inside though and fed Rowe, but Parry recovered to tackle and

Kanu and Jordan Parkes both exchanges long-range efforts at either end of the pitch, but neither could get the right power on the shots, as both ‘keepers held the

Smith nearly made a dream return to the side, as he met Woodards’ looping cross from the left, but his lifted effort drifted inches over the

The Wood’s frontline all linked up slickly before Gabriel took on the ball and cut inside, but he was brought down for a free-kick on the edge of the box. Murtagh stepped up to take the set-piece, but drilled his effort into the

Returning for the second half, Hemel were pushing to draw level as Rowe made a jinking run into the box, but he blazed his shot into the side

At the other end, Gabriel got onto the end of a corner from Cooper, but he couldn’t direct his header past

A shot-cum-cross from Smith curled towards the top left corner, but Walker backtracked to punch it

With the game petering out, Kyle Connolly would attempt an audacious strike from range, but it failed to trouble Huddart and sailed out of play.

Garrard’s men will now face Cheshunt at home in the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup, this Monday, April 15 (7.45pm).

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Shields 51’), Parry, Champion ©, Gabriel, Murtagh, Ash, Fyfield, Cooper, Kanu (Shakes 63’), Smith (Shaibu 79’)

Subs not used: Legg, Thomas, Shaibu

Hemel Hempstead Town: Walker, Howe, Connolly, Parkes ©, Kpohomouh, Hamblin, Cotter, Snews (Williams 69’), Amu, Sanchez-Watt, Rowe

Subs not used: Nketia, Muyembe, Sterling, Bones

Att: 114


The Wood: Ash 1’, Fyfield 14’

Hemel Hempstead Town: Rowe 20’


Share This