Boreham Wood    0   Leverstock Green    1

(Hertfordshire F.A. Senior Challenge Cup – Second Round)

At Meadow Park, on Tuesday 6 December 2011

by John D. Gill

It was the fifth time in seven Seasons that Boreham Wood have been drawn against
Leverstock Green in the Hertfordshire F.A. Senior Challenge Cup Competition,
and for the second time the Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League
Premier Division side managed to provide a giant-killing result.

Just as the game seemed destined for extra time Leverstock Green, somewhat against
the run of play, snatched the winning goal in the 84th minute.    The visitors gained a free kick thirty yards out on the left hand side of the Wood goal, following a foul on Paul Insley.    Max Farrelly stepped up and struck a fierce shot at the Wood goal. Michael Jordan failed to catch the ball cleanly and Adam Hallissey was quickly onto the loose ball and hammered it into the back of the net.

Wood Manager Ian Allinson included two new signings in his starting line-up with
central defender Omar Beckles making his First Team debut and wing forward Nathan Koranteng, now signed permanently from Blue Square Bet South leaders
Woking, having had a Loan spell with Wood earlier in September.

Wood attacked relentlessly from the kick off and Leverstock Green were forced to
defend in their own half for long periods of the first half.    However, it was the visitors who had the first serious shot at goal after sixteen minutes, Max Farrelly took a free kick and the ball skimmed the top of the Wood crossbar.    Wood had a good chance after twenty-eight minutes, but Chez Isaac’s thirty yard shot went inches wide of the Leverstock Green goal.

Wood continued to dominate the play without ever really threatening the goal.    Green continued to soak up the pressure with Mark Shadbolt in very good form, as the half time interval approached.

Wood forced three corners in the opening minutes of the second half, but lacked the
finish in front of goal.    Nathan Koranteng and David Hutton both had chances but failed to score.    Then Inih Effiong headed a cross from Sam Lechmere over the crossbar a yard from goal.    Effiong then had two long range shots brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Gareth Tinsley, as Wood dominated the game.

As the game continued towards its conclusion, Leverstock Green, having withstood
almost continuous pressure, took their chance to snatch a place in the Quarter
Finals, and Adam Hallissey became the hero with his opportunist goal after 84

Meanwhile Wood must quickly forget this result and concentrate on the First Round of the F.A. Carlsberg Trophy at home to Cambridge United, at Meadow Park on Saturday, Kick off: 1.00pm.

Team:    Jordan, Hunter, Jones, McMahon, Beckles, Garrard, Lechmere, Isaac (Sub – Lawal 71 mins.), Effiong, Koranteng (Sub – Scott-Morris 81 mins.), Hutton.

Subs (Not used):    Yala, Doolan, O’Connor.

Booking:    Hunter.


Share This