Boreham Wood were disappointingly knocked out of the FA Trophy, following a 1-2 defeat to Gateshead at Meadow Park.

Joe Quigley put the Wood ahead in the first half, with his first goal since joining the club on loan from AFC Bournemouth.

The visitor’s pulled it back level in the 69th minute, following a 20-yard strike from Paddy McLaughlin.

The first strike gave the Heed the impetus to push on, and they netted the winner with just 15 minutes to go, through Luke Hannant.

Bruno Andrade returned to the starting line-up, partnering Quigley upfront, with Angelo Balanta in behind.

Both sides had early chances, as Wes York whipped an early ball in for Nyal Bell, but it soared above him. Quigley was then found in space on the edge of the area, but drove his strike over the bar.

With 20 minutes gone, the Wood lodged themselves in front. Andrade had darted down the left wing and cut around the back of his marker, he peeled the ball back to Quigley, who blasted past Dan Hanford.

Keeping the tempo high, Balanta threaded the ball through to Andrade, but he was beaten to it by Neil Byrne.

Quigley could have then put the Wood two ahead, as the ball fell sweetly for him on the edge of the area, but he looped his half-volley inches over the bar.

Looking to find a way back into the game, Byrne leapt highest to meet Scott Barrow’s 30-yard free-kick, but he headed it over.

Jordan Burrow then spurned a great chance to level for the visitors, as he headed wide from Jordan Preston’s cross.

A precise through ball from Kane Smith was met by the on-running Andrade, but his cross was slightly over hit under-pressure.

Keiran Murtagh had been powerful in midfield once again and went inches from doubling the lead shortly before half time. The midfielder had taken the ball past Hanford, but his strike was cleared off the line from a tight angle.

Gateshead returned for the second half looking to get themselves back into the match, but Hannant couldn’t send his free-kick past the diving Grant Smith.

The ball had been glued to the feet of Balanta for most of the first half and he took it on the turn, but fizzled it narrowly past the post.

Kane Smith battled the ball from Preston and charged up-field, he exchanged play with Balanta, but flashed over the woodwork.

Murtagh done excellently to battle the ball from Jamal Fyfield, but he fired low at Hanford, who parried wide. Andrade then sent a corner straight onto the head of Jamie Turley, but he could only power it wide.

The Heed then levelled as Paddy McLaughlin cut inside on the edge of the area and struck the ball past Grant Smith.

Hannant took the lead for Gateshead, seven minutes later. The winger reacted fastest to a mixup amongst the Wood defence and slotted into an empty net.

The Wood pushed everyone forward in the remaining minutes, but were unable to break past a stubborn Gateshead backline, as the visitors departed with the win.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Ricketts ©, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Quigley (Folivi 78’), Turley, Balanta

Subs not used: Jeffers, Turgott, Chesmain, Jarvis

Gateshead: Hanford, Vassell, Barrow, Byrne ©, Fyfield, York (Kerr 83’), Burrow, Preston (Johnson 71’), McLaughlin, Bell (Hannant 45’), Penn

Subs not used: O’Donnell, Macleod


The Wood: Quigley 20’

Gateshead: McLaughlin 69’, Hannant 75’


Share This