Wood returned to winning ways with a dogged performance at Plainmoor on Saturday and in the process completed the double over Torquay United this season.

It certainly wasn’t one of the better performances of the season, however after being on a torrid run of no wins in six league games the players dug deep for the 3 points.

Luke Garrard made two changes from the side that lost at home to Eastleigh on New Year’s Eve. Ben Nunn dropped to the bench whilst Morgan Ferrier was injured so in came Bruno Andrade and new signing Jason Williams, who joined the club on loan this week from Southend United.

Wood started brightly and from the offset looked to make the pitch as big as possible with Andrade and Anthony Jeffrey operating in the wide areas. It was Andrade who put in a deep cross for Angelo Balanta who had pulled away at the far post but he could not generate enough power on his header to beat Brendan Moore.

Sam Chaney had a shot from range for Torquay but Woodards was quick to close him down deflecting his shot out for a corner.

Joe Devera nearly gave the Wood the lead when a corner from the right fell to his feet and on the volley he looked to have put the ball in the bottom corner, but for the leg of Courtney Richards who managed to keep it out.

Kenny Davis combined well with Andrade who delivered a great cross for Williams who tried a cheeky flick but Brendon Moore made a regulation save. Shortly afterwards Williams’ debut for the Wood came to an abrupt end when he went off with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

On the stroke of half time Aman Verma stung the palms of Wood keeper Grant Smith with a fine strike from 20 yards which Smith, who was outstanding all afternoon, did well to hold onto.

At the start of the second half Torquay came out all guns blazing and Sam Chaney fed the ball to Richards centrally, who shot first time but was way off target.

Femi Ilesanmi made an important block inside the six yard box as Jamie Reid looked certain to score but the Wood left back got the all-important touch to steer the ball wide of the post.

Garrard was then forced to shuffle his pack once more as captain Mark Ricketts was unable to run off an earlier knock. Matt Paine slotted into that central midfield berth and put in a very astute performance.

The only goal of the game followed when Balanta won the ball in the middle of the park following a Torquay attack and played in Andrade. He ran the length of the Torquay half before cutting into the box and finishing with aplomb beyond the helpless Moore.

Torquay mounted serious pressure on the Wood back four and spurned two free kick chances from just 22 yards out. Substitutes Shaun Harrard and Brett Williams combined well on the edge of the Wood box before Harrard shot wide.

With four additional minutes held up by the fourth official Wood managed to see out the game well to send the travelling 26 Wood fans home happy.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Woodards, Devera, Stephens, Ilesanmi, Ricketts (Paine), Davis, Andrade (Nunn), Balanta, Jeffrey, Williams (Shakes)

Subs: Morgan, Boal



Share This