Boreham Wood Football Club sealed a historic place in the National League play-offs, for the first time in their 70-year history, with a 3-1 win over relegated Guiseley.

Top scorer Bruno Andrade got the home side off to the best possible start, when he opened the scoring just three minutes in.

The lead was doubled before the 20-minute mark, through Andrade’s strike partner Morgan Ferrier.  

However, nerves were raised as Guiseley pulled one back three minutes after, thanks to Dayle Southwell.

Determined to leave the tie at no doubt, The Wood continued to push forward and got their rewards after the hour mark, when Kane Smith netted a third.

The Wood will now face AFC Fylde on Thursday, May 3 (7pm), in the National League Play-offs.

Jamie Turley returned to the starting line-up, following his recovery from injury, with Angelo Balanta starting in behind Andrade and Ferrier.

It was a high intensity start from Boreham Wood, who took the lead before the visitors had even had time to breathe. Guiseley failed to deal with a Wood corner and the ball fell for Andrade, who smashed it into the back of the net, from the far post.

It was nearly two, two minutes later; Andrade had been played through by a sumptuous lopped ball, but was unable to lift it over Joe Green in goal.

Ferrier then surged down the left-wing and crossed into the box for the unmarked Balanta, but his shot was somehow blocked off the line by Elliot Green.

Joe Green then had to be at his best again, as Balanta was found from a corner, but the ‘keeper reacted quickly to save.

The Wood finally doubled their lead on 17 minutes, thanks to a wonderful ball from Murtagh. The midfielder side-footed it through the legs of Ashley Palmer and Andrade connected, he darted it low across goal and Ferrier thumped home.

Three minutes later though and Guiseley had pulled a goal back. A cross from John Rooney struck both posts and Dayle Southwell tucked home.

Determined not to give up their lead, Andrade played a superb cross-field ball to the feet of Ricky Shakes, he cut inside and crossed back for the on-running Andrade, but Green punched clear.

A viscous long-range strike from Balanta, struck the chest of Palmer, as the first-half came to a close.

Andrade done well to burst around the outside of his marker, but could only curl his effort in the arms of Green.

Ferrier had the ball in the net for a second, following a low cross, but the linesman pulled him back for offside.

Kane Smith gave his side some breathing space, with a beautiful finish. Ferrier had won the ball in the Lions’ box and teed off the wing-back, who curled the ball into the bottom left-corner, with a superb side-footed finish.

Continuing to attack, Andrade snapped up a loose ball and whipped a low cross into substitute Michael Folivi, but somehow, Green saved again.

The remainder of the second half drew to a close, as the Wood secured their highest ever finish.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh (Woodards 79’), Andrade, Turley, Balanta (Davey 90’), Ferrier (Folivi 76’)

Subs not used: Quigley, Doe, Davey

Guiseley: J Green, Palmer ©, Hatfield, Rooney, Southwell, E Green (Roberts 79’), McFadzean, Purver, Morrison (St Ledger 67’), Liburd, Nirennold

Subs not used: Paley, Frempah, Holden


Boreham Wood: Andrade 3’, Ferrier 17’, Smith 69’

Guiseley: Southwell 20’

Attendance: 702


Share This