Boreham Wood’s under 18s were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by Barnet at The Hive on Tuesday evening, loosing 2-0.

Second half goals from Rio Connell and Dimeji Adeniran gave them a two-goal advantage and Cameron Mawer’s side were unable to fight their way back into the tie.

The young Wood lined up in a 4-5-1 formation, with Bailey Stevenson up front and the duo of Kai Wint and Abdel Sahnoun on the wings.

The bees started on the front foot and Antonis Vasiliou looked to have found Wraynel Hercules in the box, but Charlie Wickham done well to mop up the danger 

They continued in the same vein, but Okem Chime could only lash his effort into the side netting, from inside of the area

The young Wood began to grow into the game as it edged towards the 20-minute mark, but were still yet to trouble Aymen Azaze in the opposition net.

In an attempt to change that, left-back Tobi Afolabi swung a ball in towards Stevenson in the box, but it was headed clear by Jack Tompkins 

Chime reacted with an acrobatic effort inside of the area, but saw it deflected over the woodwork.

The young Wood should have then taken the lead. Stevenson had been sent through one-on-one with Azaze, but the stopper somehow kept it out, getting down low to his left to palm it out.   

This was followed by a goal-line scramble in the Wood area, but a combination of Wickham and Afolabi manage to hook it clear, after a number of attempts by Barnet.

Jayden O’Neil-Crichlow carried the ball forward for the young Wood towards the opposition box and let one fly from 25-yards, but it was saved by the unfazed Azaze.

Despite their impressive defensive display, the under 18s succumbed to the attacking strength within the Barnet ranks in the 50th minute. A free-kick from Vasilou was dragged across the edge of the area and Rio Connell tucked it into the bottom right corner with a first time shot.

The young Bees doubled their lead shortly after. Jack WIlmot done well to keep out Chime’s initial effort, but Dimeji Adeniran reacted fasted to tap home the rebound.

A swift turn of pace from substitute Carlos Simao on the counter attack took him past Dan Francis and he played the ball back to Santino Lewis-Failla, but Dylan Pauw recovered and blasted it clear.

Sammy Leonard-Mould leapt highest to meet a corner from Lewis Varnham, but the ‘keeper clawed it from him.

The home side countered, and Tompkins latched onto the ball following a clever dummy by Vasiliou. Tompkins carried it forward and crashed an effort against the crossbar and out.

The Wood: Wilmot, Modaku, Afolabi, O’Neil-Crichlow (Varnham 61’), Wickham, Leonard- Mould, Sahnoun, Semahula (Kihambo 84’), Stevenson (Simao 55’), Lewis-Failla, Wint

Subs not used: Prendergas, Sahnoun 

Barnet: Azaze, Francis, Box, Tompkins, Pauw, Omore, Vasiliou, Taylor (Edwards 87’), Hercules (Adeniran 45’), Chime, Connell 

Subs not used: Murphy, Moore, Titchmarsh


Barnet: Connell 52’, Adeniran 63’


Share This