Boreham Wood    3 – 0    Weston-super-Mare

(Blue Square Bet South)

At Meadow Park, on Saturday 21 January 2012

by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood recorded its first Blue Square Bet South victory since the 12 November 2011, when it beat Weston-super-Mare 3– 0 at Meadow Park on Saturday.

Wood Manager Ian Allinson was able to include four key players who had been suspended from the last game, a 4 – 0 defeat at Farnborough.    He also gave a full First Team debut to eighteen year old forward Billy Lobjoit, who joined the Club on a Work Experience Loan from League One side Leyton Orient.    Lobjoit is a local lad who lives in Borehamwood, and he marked his debut with a memorable performance by scoring two goals in the 3 – 0 win.

On a bright, sunny, very windy afternoon Weston-super-Mare chose to defend against the wind in the first half and must have been reasonably happy with a half time score of 0 – 0.

The Wood defence was rarely troubled, but their attacks on the opponents goal were also limited.    Midway through the half Luke Garrard was denied a good scoring chance by a timely tackle, and Mario Noto had a shot just wide of the far post.

A good move involving David Bryant and Billy Lobjoit ended with the young teenager just clearing the crossbar with a rising shot from twenty yards.    Soon after, a right wing cross shot from Osei Sankofa went just wide of the far post.

Just fifty seconds after the restart Weston’s Sahr Kabba found himself with space in the penalty area, but he lobbed his shot over Michael Jordan and the crossbar.    This spurred Wood into life and they took control of the game.    In the 47th minute Billy Lobjoit raced clear on the right and shot past Lloyd Irish to give Wood a 1 – 0 lead.

Wood now began to play some creative football and dominate a Weston-super-Mare side that had won five of its previous six League games.    Lloyd Irish made a double save to deny Lobjoit and then David Bryant shot inches wide of the goal.

After sixty-five minutes Wood increased the lead when Billy Lobjoit ran onto a ball forward on the left, beat two defenders before shooting firmly into the back of the net.    As his confidence grew, he twice had good opportunities to complete a hat-trick, but failed.

In the first minute of stoppage time Wood put the result beyond doubt as Substitutes David Hutton and Sam Lechmere combined to score.    Hutton’s left wing cross found Lechmere unmarked and he tapped the ball into the net from close range.

After the game Ian Allinson commented “It was a good allround team performance, and I was really pleased with the clean sheet.    Having Mario, Luke and Daryl back in midfield and David upfront gave us a much stronger team, and Billy had a fine debut!”

Team:    Jordan, Sankofa, Jones, Garrard, Wilkinson, Beckles, Cox, McMahon, Bryant (Sub – Akinola 90 mins.), Noto (Sub – Lechmere 86 mins.), Lobjoit (Sub – Hutton 88 mins).

Subs (Not used):    Hunter, Brathwaite.

Goals:    Boreham Wood:    Lobjoit 47, 65, Lechmere 90 (+1).

Wood Man of the Match:    Billy Lobjoit.


Share This