Filton College 2 – 3 Boreham Wood (Conel College) A.E.T.
Wednesday 18th January 2012 – Kick off 1.30pm
English Colleges’ Football Association National Cup

Boreham Wood’s Under 19’s progressed narrowly through to the next round of the English Colleges’ FA National Cup, after beating Filton College 3 – 2 after extra time.

‘Wood’s’ youngsters were sloppy throughout the first half, but took the lead when Sam Doolan headed the ball into the net after a Charlie Hunter free kick was fumbled by the Filton goalkeeper.

However Filton equalised shortly after when ‘Wood’ goalkeeper Jake Wilton was deemed to carry the ball outside his box to give away a free kick and, the subsequent free kick was slotted in to level the score. Before half time, a defensive mix up allowed a Filton striker through on goal, only to be brought down inside the box by ‘Wood’ keeper Jake Wilton, who was subsequently booked. However Jake redeemed himself with a great save, when he plucked the ball out of the bottom left hand corner, to keep the score 1 – 1 going into the interval.

Boreham Wood started the second half much more brightly, but they were dealt a devastating blow when Harvey Scott-Morris was given his marching orders for an off the ball incident. Minutes later Filton took the lead and it looked as if ‘Wood’ were going to be knocked out of the competition they are current reigning Champions of.

But ‘Wood’ didn’t give in, and after a last gasp onslaught, the Filton defence finally succumbed when Callum Martin’s right footed volley found the top left hand corner after good hold up play from Lee Close, and so the game went to extra time.

‘Wood’ kept their discipline and shape and were patient to await the chance they needed to take lead. This chance came late in the first half of extra time when Captain Charlie Hunter found front man Robert Hastings from inside his own half. Hastings took the ball down on the edge of the Filton box and passed the ball to Callum Martin to finish expertly in the bottom right hand corner.

Late in the game the Filton goalkeeper was shown a second yellow card after handling outside his box. ‘Wood’ remained resilient and showed great attitude and character to hold onto their lead.

Boreham Wood have progressed to the next round of the English Colleges’ FA National Cup where they will face Hartpury College at home, date to be confirmed.

Squad: J Wilton, L Close, S Doolan, R Yala, L Wallace, L Griffin, C Hunter, M McCann, H Scott-Morris, C Martin, R Hastings. Subs: T Winston, D Laughton, D Loveday, M Roles, T Mashingindze

Goal scorers: C Martin (2), S Doolan.


Share This