Woking’s hoodoo over Wood, was finally put to bed after a 26 year wait, after the home side came back from a goal down, to take all three points at Meadow Park.

Luke Garrard was forced into two changes and a positional change on the day from the team that lost up at Lincoln City in midweek..

Ben Nunn came back into the side at right back, Anthony Jeffrey was reinstated on the left in front of Ricky Shakes and that meant, Danny Woodard’s moving into the centre back position, in place of the unavailable Joe Devera.

It was though a first half to forget for both the Wood players and the Wood faithful. As they never got going, and in truth deservedly went a goal behind in the 20th minute, when from a very straight forward corner delivered into the box, Wood failed to get themselves touch tight with their opposite numbers, and Woking skipper Joey Jones rose free and unchallenged, to direct a good downward header into an unguarded Wood net..

At this stage things looked ominous for the home side, and as much as Luke Garrard tried to direct and change things from the sidelines, it just wasn’t happening either for him or his players…

Gradually though as the half wore on, the tide did begin to change, and after some patient possession, Ben Nunn played an angled ball into the Woking box, splitting the visiting central defenders. Kenny Davis, had made a great undetected run, however his header didn’t match the run, was weak and easily dealt with by Woking keeper Brandon Hall..

10 minutes later Wood against the run of play, spurned another good opportunity. When Angelo Balanta intercepted a bouncing ball, after some hesitation in the Woking defence. He quickly played in Bruno Andrade to his right, who took a good first touch before pulling the trigger, forcing the alert Brandon Hall into a good save with his feet.

From the resulting corner and with pressure mounting, another chance fell Woods way. The corner was played straight in but only only half cleared, to the edge of the 18 yard box. It was picked up by Matt Paine, who steadied himself, before forcing Brandon Hall into another fine save, as the ball looked destined to nestle in the top right hand corner before the Woking stopper managed to turn it over the bar.

Woking at this stage, were still defending their slender 1-0 lead heading into the break, but there was still time at the end of the half, for Wood to squander another half chance. As the fourth official indicated two minutes of added time, it was long enough for Bruno Andrade to draw a foul and from the subsequent Free Kick, he found the unmarked Angelo Balanta, but again the header did not generate enough power to trouble Brandon Hall..

The Wood players no doubt received some harsh words at half time from the clearly unhappy Luke Garrard and it appeared to work. As the home side came out on the front foot, playing at a high tempo from the moment the second half started and they got their rewards, when Angelo Balanta levelled proceedings in the 55th minute,.

Woods pacey wide man Anthony Jeffrey, was the catalyst for the goal, as he found himself in space on the left. He feinted to go on the outside, before coming in on his right foot before whipping in a sublime cross. The pace on the cross was perfection, and it allowed Balanta to get across his man and head powerfully past a helpless Brandon Hall.

From that point on Wood began to dominate proceedings, and just five minutes later, they took a deserved 2-1 lead. The goal came after a great passage of play, that involved five players and 12 passes, as Wood worked their way into the Woking box. A quick one to with Balanta and Davis, culminated in Bruno Andrade finding half a yard of space and netting with a smart left foot curler against his former club..

Though Woking in fairness refused to buckle under more Wood pressure. It felt like there was only ever going to be one winner from this point on, and save for a scare when a late Woking free kick rapped the post, it was Wood who remained in the ascendency, as they superbly marshalled by Matt Paine and Mark Ricketts, down the spine of the side and they saw the game out with relative ease

Wood have now won their last three home games. They are now up to ninth in a very tough league and they are just four points off the play offs. That said Luke Garrard’s men can now forget about the league for the next two weeks, and turn all their attention to next Sunday, and the visit of league two high flyers Notts County. As they try to cause an upset in the FA Cup..

The club is now urging the whole town, to get their tickets early this week and get themselves down to Meadow Park next Sunday. Chairman Danny Hunter said “We’re really going to need the towns help and need their vocal support, if we’re going to do the impossible and finally cause an upset and beat a league club after 68 years of trying. I hope they support the manager and players in the numbers and if they do, who knows what will happen”..

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Woodards, Ricketts, Paine, Davis (Lucas), Andrade, Jeffrey, Ilesanmi, Clifford, Balanta.

Subs not used: Moke, Goodliffe, Uchechi, Kuhl

Att: 405









Share This