After back to back defeats Boreham Wood returned to winning ways on Saturday afternoon with a comprehensive 4-2 victory over North Ferriby United. It was incidentally Wood’s first ever win on Yorkshire soil.

Manager Luke Garrard made 3 changes from the side that lost last Saturday to Macclesfield Town. Jai Reason and Kenny Davis dropped to the bench whilst Ben Nunn missed out owing to injury. Morgan Ferrier, Angelo Balanta and Mark Ricketts all returned to the starting eleven.

Ferriby had an early chance through Reece Thompson who spun David Stephens before shooting into the side netting.

Wood then proceeded to dominate the rest of the half and took an early lead through top scorer Morgan Ferrier. After receiving the ball from Danny Woodards, Ferrier had a bit of luck with a defection that fell into his path and he then smashed the ball into the top left hand corner of the net.

Bruno Andrade won a corner out on the right and his cross found the unmarked Matt Paine who headed downwards but the ball was cleared off the line by a defender with the keeper well beaten.

Ferriby were unable to get a foothold in the game and Wood remained camped in their half and came close again moments later. Woodards, in an advanced position, crossed for Andrade who did not get the greatest of connections but it still required another goal line clearance to keep the score at 1-0.

The visitor’s perseverance paid off though as late on in the first half Andrade whipped a nasty ball into the box and Mark Gray could only put the ball into his own net.

Wood came out in the second half looking to add to their tally and Ferrier had a shot from the edge of the box well tipped round the post by the keeper only for the referee to award a goal kick which did not please the vociferous Wood fans behind the goal.

Totally against the run of play Ferriby looked to have got themselves back into the game. A long throw which was only half cleared managed to find its way to Robbie Tinkler at the back post and despite his best efforts Grant Smith was unable to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

Wood responded and with their next attack just a minute later restored their two goal lead. Femi Ilesanmi from left back jinked his way into the box squaring the ball for Ricky Shakes, who first time played in Andrade who made no mistake from 7 yards out.

Wood then extended their lead further as Jai Reason, who had just come on as a substitute for Angelo Balanta, crossed only for Danny Emmerton to put the ball into his own net for the second own goal of the afternoon.

Tom Hitchcock, also on as a sub for Ferrier, who had run his socks off all afternoon, nearly got Wood a fifth. He latched on to a ball over the top and with the keeper rushing off his line Hitchcock lobbed him with the ball going wide of the post.

Ferriby then got themselves a consolation goal late on. Reece Thompson managed to get a yard of space in the box and squeeze a shot past Grant Smith into the bottom right hand corner.

Wood now turn to a double header at home to Dagenham and Redbridge on Good Friday followed by a second trip of the season to Maidstone United on Easter Monday.


Share This