Boreham Wood earned themselves a hard-fought 1-1 draw away to Halifax Town, at the MBI Shay Stadium, on Tuesday night.

Justin Shaibu gave the Wood the lead as early as the fourth minute, but Yorkshire based Halifax Town were able to drag themselves back into the game, through Dayle Southwell.

Luke Garrard made three changes from the win over Torquay United, with Connor Smith, Manny Parry and Shaibu all coming into the starting 11.

The Wood got off to the best possible start, when Shaibu lost his marker in the middle of the box and headed Gozie Ugwu’s cross past Sam Johnson.

The game quietened following the opening goal, with Connor Smith getting a snapshot away on the edge of the box, but it went over the bar.

Halifax had begun to grow into the game and Ryan Huddart fumbled Jordan Preston’s zipped cross, but a mixture of Tom Champion and David Stephens were there to thrash clear.

Samni Odelusi then tried his luck from range, but Huddart was equal to his effort. The former Wigan winger continued to trouble the Wood defence and freed Preston in on goal, but Ricky Shakes nicked the ball from his feet.

Jacob Hanson made a marauding run down the left and teed of Southwell, but he was unable to test Huddart.

With Halifax battling their way back into the game, the Wood were in search of a reaction. Shaibu snatched a loose ball following a failed home clearance and sprinted forward. He released Ugwu down the right, but his shot was blocked by Nathan Clarke.

The subsequent corner dropped for Manny Parry, but his shot drifted inches wide of the far post.

With just two minutes remaining of the first half, Halifax grabbed an equaliser. Hanson was found on the edge of the box and his cutback found him space. He slammed his initial shot against a Wood defender, before Southwell drove the rebound into the bottom corner.

Huddart was then called into action and made an outstanding stop to deny Southwell from close-range, with seconds of the half remaining.

Halifax opened the second half in the same manner as they finished the first, and were looking to press the away side. Mekhi McLeod forced a low save from Huddart, before Preston slid a long-range effort past the post.

The first away chance of the second period fell to Smith, but he couldn’t guide his strike on target.

A smart passage of play from the Wood opened up the Halifax defence, as Champion, Shakes and Ugwu all exchanged passes, but the latter’s low cross was cleared.

Sorba Thomas was brought on, in an attempt to spark the Wood attack back into life and he added a directness to their play, as he charged at defenders. The winger collected the ball down the right and whipped a superb cross into Ugwu, but the forward could only head into the hands of Johnson, under pressure from Clarke.

Quick feet from Thomas down the right once again opened up space for a shot. He feigned to the left and fired with his right, but it was blocked wide. The subsequent corner pinballed around the box, but Halifax cleared.

With the game creeping towards full-time, Ugwu attempted an ambitious long-range effort, but it was blocked wide.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh (Fyfield 83’), Ugwu, Smith (Thomas 63’), Shaibu

Subs not used: Burbidge, Ash, Fyfield, Thomas, Ndiaye

Halifax Town: Johnson, Sellers, Clarke, Brown ©, Southwell, Odelusi (Tomlinson 70’), Preston, McLeod, Ferry, Maher, Hanson 

Subs not used: Rowley, Duckworth, Edwards 


The Wood: Shaibu 4’

Halifax: Southwell 43’

Att: 913


Share This