Boreham Wood FC retained the Hertfordshire Senior Cup after a 1-0 victory over rivals St Albans City at Meadow Park on Wednesday evening. It was the seventh time in the clubs history that they have won this competition.

It was former Saint Ralston Gabriel that was the difference between the two sides his 70th minute goal was enough to secure the victory and keep the cup at Meadow Park.

After resting several players for the defeat up at Chesterfield, Luke Garrard looked to pick his strongest eleven. Mark Ricketts unfortunately missed out after failing a fitness test.

The Wood came out of the blocks fast exerting plenty of pressure on the St Albans defence without really creating a clear goal scoring chance. It wasn’t until midway through the first period until Wood manged to find a way through. Gabriel latched onto a through ball from Shakes. The Wood hotshot took a touch before his side footed effort on goal was well saved by Snedker.

Moments later the Wood had the ball in the net, only for the assistant referees flag to rule Gabriel offside. Smiths cross from the right was well met by Gabriel heading past Snedker. It would have been a great goal had Gabriel timed his run slightly better.

Gabriel came deep and picked the ball up just inside the St Albans half. He drove at at Saint’s defence and unleashed a great effort from 20 yards that Snedker did well to get to pushing the ball wide for a corner.

St Albans won a corner on the stoke of half time. Sole whipped the ball into the box which found Clark at the back post. He couldn’t generate an power from his header allowing Huddart to save comfortably.

The second half began as quite an open affair although no side really carved out any opportunities to test the goalkeepers. Diedhiou had a free header from a Saints corner that he should have at least got on target but headed over.

Gabriel latched onto a loose pass from the Saints back line. Again he tested Snedker with a low drive that the City stopper did well to save with his feet.

As the City players started to fatigue Wood continued to press forward. Murtagh tried the spectacular. A free kick from a full 40 yards cannoned off the crossbar with Snedker well and truly beaten.

St Albans with a rare attack and an overload of 4 vs 3 gave the ball away cheaply allowing Wood a break away of their own. Shakes picked the ball up and fed Smith out wide on the right. Smith delivered the ball into the box putting it on a plate for Gabriel to score against his former side.

Wood almost doubled their lead. Thomas capitalized on a poor pass from the Saints defence burst through the middle. He sweetly struck shot rebounded back off the cross bar.

There was almost a equaliser for Saint Albans in the 92nd minuted. Sambou curled the ball into the box. Ben Wyatt did excellent to get on the end of it but could only put his header straight into the arms of Huddart.

Referee Dave Rock then blew his whistle confirming Boreham Wood FC as the 2018/19 Hertfordshire Senior Cup winners.





Share This