Yeovil Town 1-0 Boreham Wood
Saturday 17th April 2021, 12.30pm
Huish Park, Vanarama National League

It was the home side who registered a well-deserved and poignant victory and in the process inflicting Boreham Wood’s first defeat in eleven matches.

Boreham Wood were unchanged for the fifth match running but it was the home side who were very much in charge in the first half. Yeovil controlled possession early on and after fifteen minutes after an excellent cross by Albi Skendi it was well cleared by Tom Champion when it looked destined for Reuben Reid’s head.

Following a Wood corner on twenty-three minutes an excellent break and run by the pacey Tom Knowles could have meant an opening goal for the home side but Nathan Ashmore scampered out of his goal to clear the danger. Three minutes later Ashmore was a hero again when he saved well and fortunately for Femi Ilesamni it denied him an own goal. The Glovers weren’t to be denied and two minutes later they produced an excellent team goal to take a well-deserved lead. It started with an excellent run by Matt Worthington who played in Skendi before he in turn passed to Knowles who struck a first time shot that gave Ashmore no chance. Knowles nearly doubled the lead two minutes later, but his well struck effort which went just wide. On the thirty-fifth minute, Boreham Wood created their best move of the half and after a good run by Gus Mafuta, he was denied by Glovers keeper Jimmy Smith.

Boreham Wood were much better in spells of the second half as they began to see a lot more of the ball. However, chances were at a premium. Tyrone Marsh should have scored on sixty-five minutes, but he cleared the crossbar with a free header. A minute later a fine Ashmore save denied Knowles’ looping shot before a combination of Jamal Fyfield and Champion clearing the ball away. A fantastic Kane Smith cross would have presented a free header for Matt Rhead but to Yeovil’s delight it was denied with  some heroic defending from Michael Kelly. Four minutes later, Corey Whitely’s well struck free kick was well saved by Smith in the Yeovil goal.

Yeovil Town held out for a well-deserved three points which would have pleased their late skipper. Boreham Wood, on the other hand, weren’t at their best despite a better second half performance.

Yeovil Town: Smith, Dickinson, Wilkinson, Sass-Davies, Kelly, Knowles, Worthington (Murphy 83), Neufville, Skendi (Quigley 90), Smith, Reid (Lee 83).

Subs not used: Hunt, Dagnall.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Fyfield, Champion, Ilesamni, Whitely, Ricketts, Murtagh (Rhead 57), Mafuta, Tshimanga, Marsh (Stephens 87).

Subs not used: Green, Pearce, Woodards.

Star man: Nathan Ashmore.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This