Wrexham 3-0 Boreham Wood
Saturday 12th February 2022
The Racecourse, Buildbase FA Trophy 5th Round


It’s mid-February and Boreham Wood have finally been knocked out of a cup competition, having succumb to a 3-0 defeat at the Racecourse by Wrexham. After the heroics of Bournemouth last Sunday, the visit to North Wales was a match too far for Luke Garrard’s men as first half goals from Ollie Palmer and Jordan Davies, and a late second half goal from Aaron Hayden ensured that the Welsh side take their place in the 6th Round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Luke Garrard made two changes from last Sunday’s FA Cup win with Jamie Reckord replacing the cup tied Conor Stevens at left side centre half and frontman Danilo Orsi starting instead of midfielder Josh Rees who dropped to the bench, with Tyrone Marsh falling back into the advanced midfield role.

Boreham Wood had the better of a scrapy opening in windy conditions but were unable to make their dominance count. Jordan Davies had the first effort for the hosts on eighteen minutes but shot just over the bar from distance. A minute later the home side took the lead. A deep Callum McFadzean cross was headed in from former Wood loanee Ollie Palmer.

Two minutes later, Danilo Orsi had the ball in the net for Wood but it was ruled out for offside. On twenty-seven minutes came the goal that settled the match as a contest. A fantastic curling strike by Jordan Davies gave Taye Ashby-Hammond no chance in the Wood goal. Wrexham started to turn the screw and six minutes later Palmer headed against Ashby-Hammond’s post when well placed. In the build up to the interval, the hosts looked likely to add to their lead and nearly did on the stroke of half time when Daniel Jarvis just failed to get on the end of the Luke Young cross.

The second half started in the same vein as the first ended with the home side dominant. Ben Tozer’s Dave Challinor style long throw ins were causing all sorts of problems for the Wood defence and it was from one of these that Ollie Palmer nearly added a third. On fifty-three minutes Wood had their best chance of the second half when a David Stephens flick on header found Tyrone Marsh who volleyed agonizingly wide of Rob Lainton’s goal.

A spate of substitutions couldn’t galvanise Luke Garrard’s men and on ninety minutes the hosts wrapped up the scoring when a Reece Hall-Johnson cross was headed in by Aaron Hayes.

Boreham Wood were second best as the hosts looked sharper and more clinical. While Everton away looms on the horizon, there are a number of important Vanarama National League matches coming up, first up is Altrincham at LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park on Tuesday night where Luke Garrard will want to get back to winning ways…

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, K. Smith, Evans, Stephens, Reckord, Mendy Mendy, Ricketts (Rees 65’), Raymond, Marsh, Boden (Lewis 77’), Orsi (Clifton 71’).

Subs not used: Roach, C. Smith, Ranger.

Wrexham: Lainton, Hosannah, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean (Hall-Johnson 67’), O’Connor, Young, Davies, Jarvis (Angus 80’), Palmer.

Subs not used: Dibble, McAlinden, Poncticelli.

Man of the Match: David Stephens.



Share This