Weymouth 1-3 Boreham Wood
Tuesday 18th May 2021, 7.45pm
The Bob Lucas Stadium, Vanarama National League

After the disappointment of losing on Saturday to Wrexham, Boreham Wood got back to winning ways against Weymouth at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Luke Garrard made three changes to his starting line up from Saturday’s defeat against Wrexham with Tyrone Marsh, Danny Woodards and Davis Stephens coming in for Krystian Pearce, Femi Ilesamni and the suspended Tom Champion.

The first half was very much one way traffic as Boreham Wood dominated the Dorset side. Kabs Tshimanga had a chance after three minutes but his effort was blocked by Brennan Camp, Jamal Fyfield then fired just over the bar from the resulting corner. On eleven minutes Corey Whitely produced a fantastic piece of play by beating two players down the left before his cross was brilliantly cut out as it looked like it was heading into the path of Tshimanga.

On twenty-two minutes Boreham Wood took a deserved lead, Tshimanga was played through on goal but forced wide when planning to shoot. He had the presence of mind to pick out Tyrone Marsh who buried his shot past Ross in the Terras goal. Wood doubled their lead on thirty-three minutes when Kane Smith produced a blistering strike that went in off of the post.

In the second half the hosts were much better and for a lot of that period, were the better side. On forty-nine minutes, the dangerous Andrew Dallas beat the offside trap when his first effort was blocked by Ashmore before he shot wide from his second effort. A minute later, Marsh’s long range effort was deflected wide off Camp before Fyfield headed wide from the resulting corner. Soon afterwards Ben Worman headed wide for the hosts when well placed.

On sixty-four minutes Weymouth got a deserved goal when Jake McCarthy’s bullet header gave Nathan Ashmore no chance. But it was on seventy-one minutes some heroic defending from man of the match Fyfield when he blocked a Dallas shot which kept Wood in front.

Dallas nearly scored two minutes later but was denied again by Ashmore. Any fears Boreham Wood had of a repeat of Saturday’s capitulation against Wrexham were alleviated when they got their third goal on eighty-five minutes with a brilliant run and pass from Keiran Murtagh to Corey Whitely, who expertly finished past Ross in the Terras goal.

This was Boreham Wood’s third win in four games and was a very good performance for the most part. The three goals were exceptional, and they were able to withstand the Weymouth pressure in the second period.

Weymouth: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, McQuoid, Robinson, Brooks (Leslie-Smith 89), Dallas, Mensah, Murray (Fonkeu 74), Harfield, Worman (Dickson 79)

Subs not used: Benfield, Ngalo.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Fyfield, Woodards, Stephens, Ricketts, Murtagh, Mafuta, Tshimanga, Whitely, Marsh.

Subs not used: Green, Jallow, Ilesanmi, Pearce.

Star man: Jamal Fyfield.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member).


Share This