Stockport County 1-1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 23rd January 2021, 3.00pm
Edgeley Park, Vanarama National League

After a disappointing night on Tuesday when Boreham Wood faced defeat against Torquay United in the FA Trophy, Luke Garrard would have been wanting a very different performance from this game, and he definitely got one! This afternoon at Edgeley Park, Garrard’s men were superb and they should consider themselves unlucky not to have got all three points against high flying Stockport County but in the end the Wood had to settle for a point after a 1-1 draw.

Boreham Wood made three changes from Tuesday night with Krystian Pearce, coming straight into the side to make his debut, Zaine Francis-Angol and Gus Mafuta who started in place of David Stephens, Corey Whitely and Matt Rhead.

After a lively opening, Stockport’s John Rooney gave the home side the lead from a trademark freekick after just six minutes of play, from then on it was pretty much all Boreham Wood for the remainder of the first half with Junior Morias shooting wide a couple of minutes later. After twelve minutes Wood produced some impressive interplay and with an excellent pass from Keiran Murtagh to Francis-Angol, his cross only required a tap in from Kabs Tshimanga but somehow County keeper Ben Hinchcliffe managed to keep it out. On twenty-two minutes, Morias’ goal-bound effort was brilliantly saved by Hinchliffe who tipped his effort onto the post, soon afterwards Tshimanga forced another smart save from Hinchcliffe.

Leading up to half time, the home side could have extended their lead but Kane Smith’s fantastic block denied Richie Bennett’s effort. Alex Reid then rattled Nathan Ashmore’s post just before the interval, meaning Stockport took the lead of 1-0 going into the break.

Stockport were better in the second half and started to take the game to Wood as Alex Reid was denied after an impressive run and shot. Stockport’s Reid was denied again, this time by an excellent block from Francis-Angol. After fifty-nine minutes Boreham Wood finally got their deserved equaliser when the excellent Tshimanga got the goal that his teams performance warranted when he beat Hinchcliffe at the near post.

County responded well to Boreham Wood’s goal and for the first time in the match, were on the ascendancy after another effort from Rooney which was deflected wide when it looked like it was beating Ashmore. The Wood defence held out impressively by restricting Stockport to half chances, Boreham Wood tempted a lead but efforts from Tshimanga were blocked by both county’s defence and Hinchcliffe in County’s goal. As the match entered its final phase, Wood looked more likely to snatch the points, however, the home side held out for the draw and would have been happy to hear the final whistle.

This was a much better performance from Boreham Wood today after Tuesday night’s disappointment. The defence were impressive and Pearce slotted in very well on his debut, Kane Smith was immense and probably had his best game of the season. There was plenty of good attacking play and Boreham Wood had enough chances to have won the match. However, it was a good point on the road against an impressive team.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Francis-Angol (Whitely 68), Fyfield, Pearce, Ilesamni, Ricketts, Murtagh, Mafuta, Morias, Tshimanga.

Subs not used: Huddart, Champion, Rhead, Coulthirst.

Stockport County: Hinchliffe, Hogan, Palmer, Maynard, Rooney, Bennett, C.Jennings, Kitching (Williams 67), Keane, Southam-Hales, Reid (Croasdale 80).

Subs not used: Barnes, Minihan, Stott.

Man of the Match: Kane Smith.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This