Oldham Athletic 0 – 2 Boreham Wood
Saturday 4th March 2023
Boundary Park, Vanarama National League


Late goals from Jack Payne and Dennon Lewis were enough to give Boreham Wood a fantastic victory at the home of former Premier League side, Oldham Athletic. It was Wood’s third win in a row and its now thirteen unbeaten in the Vanarama National League for Luke Garrard’s men.

Garrard named an unchanged starting line up following Tuesday’s night victory over Dorking Wanderers.

First Half

The opening period of the match was dominated by the home side as The Latics created several chances to take the lead. Mark Shelton had the first shot for the hosts after two minutes but screwed his effort wide. Three minutes, Mark Kitching played an excellent ball in to Devarn Green, but he was denied by an excellent block from Jamal Fyfield when he looked certain to score. On eight minutes, following an excellent run from Green, he crossed the ball to John Rooney who somehow scuffed his shot with no Wood defender around him. Four minutes later, Zak Brunt had Boreham Wood’s first shot on goal, but his well struck effort went just wide of Magnus Norman’s goal, just when it looked like creeping into the corner. Mike Fondop forced a good save from Nathan Ashmore, soon afterwards.

On seventeen minutes, the dangerous Green went on another good run down the right and once again picked out Rooney with his cross. However the former Stockport midfielder was once again off target. Fondop tried his luck from distance again, seven minutes later but his shot went just wide. Boreham Wood showed a good deal of improvement, leading up to half time. They managed to prevent anymore Latics attacks and actually finished the half the better side. On forty-three minutes, Wood might have taken the lead when George Broadbent played in Femi Ilesamni, who’s shot was well blocked by Joe Yarney.

Second Half 

Boreham Wood continued to look more threatening at the start of the second half. Brunt went close again on fifty-seven minutes. This time, his long-range shot hit the Oldham post with Norman well beaten. Ilesamni, who was dominated by Devarn Green earlier on, started to get the upper hand against the Oldham wide man. On sixty-two minutes he beat Green down the left and presented a cross to Brunt who this time, scuffed his shot straight into the arms of goalkeeper Norman. On seventy-five minutes Mike Fondop fired over for the hosts when well placed. This ended up being Oldham’s last real chance of the match,

On eighty-two minutes, a rare Jack Payne goal gave Boreham Wood the lead and what a goal it was. Payne hit it from distance, and it appeared to dip at the last minute to evade the outstretched arm of Magnus Norman, who otherwise, would have saved it. In the final minute of normal time. Boreham Wood added the second and finished the match as a contest. Danny Newton went on an excellent run down the right and his pinpoint cross reached the head of Broadbent and although his effort was cleared off the line, Dennon Lewis was there to nod the ball home to rapturous scenes with the travelling Boreham Wood supporters.

It was an excellent three points for Luke Garrard’s men who now occupy the final play off place in the league table. Although the host dominated early in the contest, Boreham Wood were able to gain a foothold in the game and got better as the match wore on. Luke Garrard will want to continue this excellent run of form, away at Maidenhead United on Tuesday night.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Bush, Fyfield, Agbontohoma, Broadbent, Brunt (Rees 90), Payne, Ndlovu (Lewis 79), Marsh (Newton 70)

Subs not used: Evans, Sousa

Oldham Athletic: Norman, Hogan, Sheron, Green, Shelton, Rooney (Tollitt 69), Fondop, Kitching, Sutton, Yarney, Nuttall (Abraham 69)

Subs not used: Hudson, Chapman, Clarke

Man of the Match: Jack Payne




Share This