It was another experimental Wood side that eased to victory against Hertford Town this evening in the Herts Senior Cup.

There were first starts of the season for Courtnage and Hunter, While Sam Merson made his first team debut.

The side didn’t really get out of second gear but three first half goals with two coming from debutant Sam Merson. David Moli added a third. Lipman’s strike in the second half was the fourth and enough to see the Wood through.

The Wood started brightly led by captain for the night Mario Noto. Whichelow forced an early corner after his cross was blocked.

As you would expect the Wood saw plenty of possession in the opening exchanges but couldn’t convert that into clear goal scoring opportunities.

It was in the 21st Minute that the Wood took the lead, a cross in from the left by Brown was palmed away by the home keeper and on debut Merson coolly slotted past the keeper.

Wood pressed forward again with Lipman who collected the ball from Courtnage, laid in Merson. He cut inside and shot off target.

Hertford had a great chance to equalise a ball into Wade was laid off to Campbell whose effort was just off target.

There was some good work from an improved Moli down the right, he rode one challenge and crossed for Merson before shooting straight at the keeper.

The lively Campbell gave Wood a scare but Noto was on hand to clear away the danger following a nice pass from Louis Rose.

A great ball over the top from Ruff set Leigh Rose free. A bit of composure from Rose would have seen Hertford equalise but his hesitation allowed Wood to clear and break. Moli down the right hand side slide in Noto who got to the byline and crossed for Merson to fire underneath the diving Amaegbe to get his second goal of the game.

A third shortly followed for the Wood, Noto sent Lipman down the left who cut it back for Moli to slot past the keeper.

Lipman had the first of many Wood chances in the second half his effort from just outside the area going over the bar.

Hertford got a goal back through Wade. Confusion between Brown and Hickford allowed Campbell to cross and Wade headed past Courtnage.

Brown was on hand to clear danger when another ball over the Wood defence found Leigh Rose.

Watson had a great chance to reduce the deficit when through on goal and only Courtnage to beat buthis touch was too heavy which allowed Courtnage to gather.

Brilliant work from Hunter who intercepted a through ball took a touch and clipped a ball into the path of Whichelow who whizzed past two, then put in a dangerous cross which was cleared for a corner.

Lipman got Wood’s fourth of the evening which was virtually identical to how Wood opened this scoring. This time Whichelow crossed and the keeper parried into the path of Lipman who converted.

Ruff forced a good save from Courtnage. The Wood defence retreated allowing a shot on target which Cournage held onto well.

In the closing stages Whichelow should have had a penalty which was waved away by the referee while a solo effort from Lipman went over after rounding four to five players.

Wood Team: Courtnage, Hunter, Brown, Hill, Hickford, Whichelow, Noto, Thomas, Merson (Montgomery), Moli, Lipman

Un used Subs: Russell, Reynolds, Morias, Cox,


Share This