Boreham Wood 1-0 Hartlepool Utd
Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
4th October 7.45pm, Vanarama National League

They rode their lucky at times but a seventy-eighth minute winner by Lee Ndlovu was enough to give Boreham Wood a welcome victory and only their third Vanarama National League win of the season. An unbelievable performance from Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal cemented the three points.

Luke Garrard made one change from Saturday’s defeat at Ebbsfleet United with Chris Bush coming in for the injured David Agbontohoma. Billy Sass-Davies retains his place in the starting line up as his red card at Ebbsfleet was correctly rescinded.

The visitors controlled a lot of the first period. They had a good chance to take the lead on four minutes when former Wood loanee Josh Umerah went through on goal but was denied by some excellent work by Billy Sass-Davies. On fifteen minutes Nathan Ashmore had to be at his best to deny Tom Crawford whose shot from distance looked like going in the top corner before Ashmore somehow kept it out. Two minutes later Crawford went on a good run before unleashing a shot that Sass-Davies was able to block. On twenty-one minutes, some good interplay between David Ferguson and Umerah ended with Umerah’s shot being blocked by Femi Ilesamni.

On twenty-five minutes Tyrone Marsh headed the ball in from an Erico Sousa free kick but it was ruled out for offside. Three minutes later, Marsh tried his luck from distance, but his shot whistled just wide of the post. On the half hour mark, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe forced a good save from Ashmore. Just before the break, Lee Ndlovu went close for Boreham Wood but shot just wide following a good run.


Like so often this season, Boreham Wood came out for the second half with a more positive attitude. Marsh fired just wide of Peter Jameson’s goal on fifty-one minutes before Pools forward Crawford forced another save from Ashmore. Ndlovu was just off target with a header seven minutes later. On sixty-six minutes Ashmore produced a save, right out of the top draw from an Umerah strike that looked destined for the top corner because Ashmore got his big hand to it.

On seventy-eight minutes, Ndlovu gave Boreham Wood a welcome lead and what a goal it was. He managed to turn Alex Lacey in the Pools defence and finish with devastating efficiency beyond the outstretch hand of Jameson. It was a welcome relief for the Wood No 9 who has been without a goal in six matches. Soon afterwards, Matt Robinson fired over when well placed. Shortly after the fourth official signalled nine minutes of stoppage time, Marsh nearly made sure of the points for Boreham Wood, but his acrobatic bicycle kick went just wide of Jameson’s goal. Boreham Wood then had a few nervy moments when once again, Ashmore came to the rescue. Dieseruvwe was denied at close range by Ashmore, not once but twice in the closing moments before referee Andrew Humphries brought proceedings to a close, much to the relief of Luke Garrard, his players, and the supporters inside Meadow Park.

It was a very welcome victory for Boreham Wood which has lifted the gloom after a disappointing start to the season. With table toppers Chesterfield due at Meadow Park on Saturday, Luke Garrard will want to follow this win up with another one.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Sass-Davies, Bush, Payne, Robinson, Balanta (Whelan 77), Sousa (Fyfield 74), Ndlovu, Marsh
Subs not used: Stephens, Abraham, Griffiths

Hartlepool United: Jameson, Ferguson, Lacey, Umerah, Finney (Grey 71), Dieseruvwe, Crawford (Wreh 83), Onariase, Johnson (Seaman 83), Hendrie, Featherstone,
Subs not used: Dixon, Dolan,

Man of the match: Nathan Ashmore



Share This