FC Halifax Town 1 – 0 Boreham Wood
Saturday 19th November 2022
The Shay Stadium, Vanarama National League


A second half goal from Rob Harker consigned Boreham Wood to their second defeat in a row and their six Vanarama National League match without a win. Luke Garrard’s men have now slid down to tenth in the table.

Luke Garrard made two changes from last Saturday’s defeat against Woking with Will Evans returning instead of Dennon Lewis at the back and Tyrone Marsh replacing the injured Danny Newton up front

First Half

It was an uneventful first half where both sides created little. Boreham Wood started the game on the front foot by putting pressure on the Halifax defence without really threatening. On seven minutes, it was the Shaymen who had the game’s first chance when a good ball by Rob Harker picked out Luke Summerfield whose shot was saved by Nathan Ashmore. George Broadbent then had a shot blocked by Jack Senior and on eighteen minutes, Halifax’s Tyler Golden played in Angelo Capello who shot straight at Ashmore. On thirty-four minutes Will Evans headed Zak Brunt’s corner wide when well placed. Luke Summerfield and Capello went close for the hosts before the break but were unable to convert their chances.

Second Half

Boreham Wood went close on fifty-one minutes when Brunt’s corner was flicked on by Evans, but Jamal Fyfield was unable to convert. The hosts then started to dominate, Harker hit the post with a rasping shot, six minutes later. Then Summerfield was just off target with a free before Halifax scored what proved to be the winning goal on fifty-nine minutes. Harvey Gilmour’s shot was spilled by Ashmore, straight into the path of Harker who made no mistake from close range.

After the hosts took the lead, Luke Garrard made some changes by replacing Marsh and Lee Ndlovu with Danny Elliott and Bruno Andrade and while this added some much-needed energy to the Wood frontline, they were unable to create much. Jack Payne shot way over soon afterwards when well placed. On eighty-six minutes Tom Scott thought, he’d doubled Halifax’s lead, but the linesman immediately flagged for offside. In the first of seven minutes added on at the end of the game, Evans should have done better with a header but just couldn’t get enough power on it.

It was another disappointing afternoon for Boreham Wood, and their mini slump continues. Luke Garrard will want to get his side back to winning way in the FA Cup second round tie away at Bristol Rover next Sunday.

Halifax Town: Johnson, Hunter, Stott, Senior, Golden, Cappello (Miniham 83), Summerfield, Gilmour, Cooke (Warburton 67), Spence, Harker (Alli 75).

Subs not used: Scott.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Evans, Ilesamni, Fyfield, Gordon (Lewis 69), Broadbent, Payne, Brunt, Ndlovu (Elliot 61), Marsh (Andrade 61).

Subs not used: Rees, Williams.

Man of the Match: Will Evans.



Share This