Boreham Wood 0 Dorking Wanderers 3
Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park
27th January 3.00pm
Vanarama National League

In a highly disappointing afternoon Boreham Wood succumb to a deserved 3-0 defeat to Dorking Wanderers. Goals from Jason Prior, Alfie Rutherford and Charlie Carter were enough for victory for the Surrey side and Boreham Wood’s first home defeat since early October.

Luke Garrard made two changes from the starting line up from Wednesday night’s 4-4 draw against Eastleigh with David Agbontohoma and Cameron Coxe starting instead of Josh Staunton and Lee Ndlovu. In a quiet opening, the first chance of the match fell to Erico Sousa on eight minutes but his shot from distance was well saved by Harrison Male in the Dorking goal. Twelve minutes later an excellent cross shot from Dorking’s Bobby Joe-Taylor forced Nathan Ashmore into a good save. On twenty-one minutes Cameron Coxe cut inside from the right but his shot was too weak to trouble Dorking keeper Male. Five minutes later following an excellent run from Dorking’s Charlie Carter, his subsequent shot went high and wide.

On the half hour mark, the visitors took the lead when Jason Prior got on the end of George Francomb’s corner and finished with a bullet header for his ninth goal in the Vanarama National League this season. Dorking might have got a second five minutes later when a similar Francomb corner was hit over by Hayden Hollis. On thirty-six minutes, the visitors, doubled their lead when Alfie Rutherford took advantage of a mistake in the Wood defence to finish into an empty net. Wanderers now had their tails up and Jason Prior went close two minutes later but couldn’t keep his shot down. Boreham Wood, who came from 2-0 down in midweek to eventually draw with Eastleigh were hoping for a similar scenario. However, that became all but impossible just before the break when Tyrone Marsh was sent off for a second bookable offence due to a deliberate handball ball goal following an Erico Sousa corner. Wood not only had to face up to the second half 2-0 down, but also with ten men.


Wood came out for the second half showing some spirit, but Dorking remained in total control of the match. Wood went close on forty-eight minutes when Sousa’s pass was just too long for Cameron Coxe who failed to get on the end of it. On the hour mark, Dorking midfielder Dan Pybus forced a good save from Nathan Ashmore. However, the visitors weren’t to be denied a minute later when Charlie Carter got on the end of a Jason Prior flick on to make it 3-0. The ended any possible chance of a Boreham Wood comeback. Although they huffed and puffed, the Dorking defence, well marshalled by captain Tony Craig, were on their game. Wood did have a good chance to pull a goal back on seventy-seven minutes, but Chris Bush headed straight at goalkeeper Male. The visitors held out for the victory and a league double over Boreham Wood.

It was a disappointing way to follow up the excellent performance in the second half against Eastleigh. With all the teams currently in the bottom four, winning, Boreham Wood are now back in the relegating fight, and they will want to put things right in the crucial match away at Woking next Saturday.


Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies (Ndlovu 46), Agbontohoma, Payne, Robinson, Sousa (Clarke 89), Appiah (Balanta 69), Marsh

Subs not used: Fyfield, Clayden

Dorking Wanderers:  Male, Blair, Bowerman (Joe-Taylor 12), Craig (Gallagher 75), Hollis, Francomb, Carter, Pybus J.Taylor, , Prior, Rutherford (McManus 55)

Subs not used: Muitt, Ottaway




Share This