Boreham Wood 0 – 1 Dagenham & Redbridge
Tuesday 10th November 2020, 7pm
Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

In a game that they largely dominated, Boreham Wood were undone by a 58th minute Myles Weston goal in a disappointing defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge to register their first home defeat in 15 games stretching back over a year.

Boreham Wood made some changes from Saturday, the injured Ricketts and Whitely were replaced by Piero Mingoia and Adam McDonnell, whilst Shaq Coulthirst started in place of Matt Rhead. In a first half of very little activity, it was the home team who enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and showed more energy despite playing 120 minutes in the Emirates FA Cup only three days earlier.

Sorba Thomas was very lively early on and caused the visitors all sorts of problems. It was his fantastic cross that picked out Jamal Fyfield at 17 minutes but the defenders header was somehow saved by the excellent Elliot Justham in the Daggers goal. Soon afterwards, Coulthirst had a shot that blazed over the bar followed by a good chance from Dagenahm & Redbridge just before half time when Paul McCallum headed wide. The big centre forward didn’t look like the same player who impressed so much for Barnet last season and Eastleigh the season before.

The Daggers made a change at half time which would eventually win them the game. The dangerous Myles Weston replaced Will Wright and there is no doubt, he added something to the visitors attack. Boreham Wood were still dominating possession and Fyfield had a shot deflected wide of the goal. Tshimanga might have had a penalty a minute later but the appeals were waved away by referee Jacob Miles.

After 56 minutes the ineffective McCallum was replaced by ex-Wood player Angelo Balanta and straight away the Daggers took the lead. An excellent cross by former Barnet player Elliot Johnson caught the Boreham Wood defence napping and Myles Weston was well placed to finish beyond Nathan Ashmore.

Shaq Coulthirst was immediately replaced by Matt Rhead to give Boreham Wood the focal point they seemed to be missing in attack. McDonnell and Mafuta went close for Wood before Elliot Justham brought Tshimanga down in the penalty area on 73 minutes. Last season’s top goalscorer, following his two successful penalties on Saturday would have fancied his chances against Justham. However, the former Luton Town goalkeeper produced a fantastic save by tipping Tshimanga’s well struck shot onto the bar. There was now a feeling that this was Boreham Wood’s chance gone. While they huffed and puffed for the final 17 minutes, David Stephens came on to add more height in an unfamiliar centre forward role. The score remained 1-0 to the visitors. In fact, by the end, the Daggers looked more likely to add to their lead than Boreham Wood did equalising.

All-in-all it was a disappointing night for Boreham Wood who had dominated for the large part but just couldn’t break down a resolute Daggers defence, who seemed to be heading balls out for fun. Perhaps in the end, the 120 minutes and penalty shoot out on Saturday took its toll. Ultimately, it was a momentary lapse in defence that cost Boreham Wood in the end.

A fairly upbeat Wood Manager Luke Garrard said after the game, “I don’t think we deserved to lose a game of football. We were the better side and looked strong despite playing 120 minutes on Saturday. The manner from which the goal was conceded was disappointing.”

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Thomas, Fyfield, Champion, Ilesanmi, McDonnell (Stephens 86), Mafuta, Coulthirst (Rhead 58), Tshimanga, Mingoia (Frances-Angol 72).

Subs not used: Woodards, Huddart.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Johnson, Croll, Clark, Deering (Adams 78), Brundle, McCallum (Balanta 57), Wright (Weston 45), Ogogo, Wilson, Jones.

Subs not used: Strizovic, Saunders.

Man of the match: Jamal Fyfield

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This