Boreham Wood 2 – 0 Dagenham & Redbridge 
Saturday 9th October 3:00pm
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

On a fantastic afternoon at the LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, in front our highest crowd of the season, second half goals from Jamal Fyfield and Josh Rees made sure of Boreham Wood’s second 2-0 home win of the week in a dominant display from Luke Garrard’s men. 

Luke Garrard made two changes to the Wood line up from Tuesday night with Josh Rees and Frankie Raymond coming in for Connor Smith and the injured skipper Mark Ricketts.

Despite Boreham Wood’s domination, it was the Daggers who came out of the blocked quickly by forcing a succession of corners. From one of them, Joey Jones forced a good save from Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal with a well struck shot from the edge of the area. There was there was an excellent move involving Will Wright and Myles Weston before Weston’s cross was just out of reach of Paul McCallum. On sixteen Boreham Wood had their first chance when Jamal Fyfield headed over the bar following a Josh Rees corner. On the half hour mark, an excellent run from Gus Mafuta, created a chance from Josh Rees but he shot straight at Elliot Justham in the Daggers goal. Soon afterwards, the Daggers, Josh Walker had a goal bound effort block by Jamal Fyfield. On thirty-six minutes, some excellent approach play from Myles Weston and Paul McCallum created an opening for Josh Walker who shot wide for the visitors. Tyrone Marsh then went straight up the other end and tested the palms of Justham in the Daggers goal. Soon after, Scott Boden picked our Marsh whose deflected shot looked destined for the top corner before Justham somehow clawed it away.

The second half started brightly for the hosts and almost straight away, Will Evans had a shot cleared off the line. Then on forty-nine minutes, they took the lead. A Mafuta shot was deflected into the path of Fyfield who finished well beyond Elliot Justham. Four minutes later Mafuta had a long range shot saved by Dagger keeper Justham. On fifty-nine minutes, Wood doubled their lead when Marsh picked out Josh Rees who slammed his shot home. Wood could have extended their lead further five minutes later when Scott Boden was denied by Justham. The visitors were struggling to get a foothold in the game and chances for them were few and far between. Angelo Balanta headed wide when unmarked on seventy minutes. Former Wood player Balanta had a couple of other half chances that came to nothing. Just as fourth official Kirsty Dowle signals four minutes of added time Will Wright had a good effort for the visitors, but he was denied by Ashmore. Deep into added time Adrian Clifton had a deflected shot hit the crossbar for the home side.

It was a thoroughly impressive performance from Luke Garrard’s men. They recovered from a shaky start and very quickly got a foothold in the game. The Boreham Wood manager has got his team playing with such confidence that it is hard to find any fault with them. To be second in the league after eleven games in quite an achievement. Luke Garrard won’t be getting too excited yet though and he’ll want to take each game as it comes. It was great to see the impact that the increased attendance had on the players today. There is a real buzz among the players and supporters going into the big FA Cup tie at Barnet next Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, K Smith, Ilesanmi, Fyfield, Evans, Mendy Mendy, Rees, Mafuta (Stephens 90), Raymond, Boden, Marsh (Clifton 87)

Subs not used: Green, Munns, C Smith.Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Johnson, Wright. Clark, Walker, McCallum, Balanta, Weston, Robinson, Ling, Jones

Subs not used: Reynolds, Rance, Sagaf, Saunders, Wilson

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This