Angol Is Top Of The Tree!

Vanarama Conference South.

Boreham Wood 4 Weston Super Mare 0,

by John Mead.

Two late goals from Lee Angol catapulted the young striker to the top of the leading goal scorers table.

The Seagulls arrival was delayed due to the horrendous existence of the M25, but they showed no signs of sluggishness themselves. This was a very open game up until Graeme Montgomery grabbed his second goal of the night after 62 minutes, to ease the pressure on his side.

A main feature of this Wood outfit is the ability to generate a high amount of goalmouth action and this game was no different. Yet the visitors defended resolutely, whilst looking dangerous when going forward, until the class that is bleeding from this Wood side showed through.

Dayle Grubb was a real threat for the visitors, causing problems for the Wood defence as early as the 2nd minute when he was allowed to cross into danger from the left.

Both sides moved the ball about well when in possession, with The Seagull’s showing no signs of relying on counter attacking football.

Matty Whichelow rode a poor challenge down the left before skillfully combining with Junior Morias but there was no way through the defence. Josh Hill then produced a fine challenge at the other end to deny Bradley Ash after fine play from Grubb.

Grubb then drew a diving save out of James Russell after being allowed time and space to shoot.

Wood began to grow in confidence and Clayton Fortune did well to stop Morias hitting the target from a Montgomery cross. The pressure was mounting on the visitors defence, yet somehow they denied Wood two great opportunities to score in quick succession. Whichelow’s cross from the left was perfect for Angol and his fiercely struck volley was superbly parried by Luke Parnell, before a defender somehow blocked a well hit follow up shot from Ricky Shakes on the line.

Montgomery then provided for Morias whose beautifully executed curling effort was tipped over acrobatically by Purnell. The custodian was fast becoming the clear man of the match at this stage, saving at his right hand post from Luke Garrard from the resultant corner.

Shakes then intercepted a pass before laying into the path of Angol who went agonisingly close with a shot across goal.

Weston threatened through Kane Ingram, whose low cross from the right needed a desperate save from Russell to prevent Jake Mawford from running in to finish the move.

The breakthrough came with the last kick of the half, a low cross into a crowded box from the right by Whichelow diverted home off the boot of Montgomery.

Whichelow was denied by a superb challenge from Jake Llewellyn after Morias had stung the hands of Purnell, who could only parry.

The match remained in the balance, until Montgomery struck again. Whichelow crossed from the right where Morias was strong in the challenge to knock the ball on for another fizzing left footed volley that had the beating of Purnell at his near post.

The visitors showed signs of cracking and when Callum Reynolds headed against the right hand upright angle from a Whichelow corner, it was left to Angol to stab the ball over the line for 3-0.

The rest of the night belonged to Wood and substitute Austin Lipman created the fourth. From a standing start he delivered a telling ball in from the left to the near post, where Angol was on hand to flash the ball home across Purnell, with seven minutes remaining.

The victory made it a November to remember for The Gaffer Ian Allinson, whose side went undefeated.

Wood are now six points clear at the top, with all their nearest rivals having games in hand. However with the four sides in the play off places due to meet each other twenty four hours later, the table gives a lot of promise going into F A Trophy weekend.

Team: Russell, Garrard, Brown, Cox, Hill (Hickford 85), Reynolds, Whichelow ( Lipman 76), Shakes, Angol, Morias, Montgomery (Thomas 67).

Subs not used: Noto, Moli.

Bookings: Cox.

Goals: Montgomery 45, 62. Angol 72, 83.

Fans Man Of The Match: Lee Angol.







Share This