The Wood ended their Pre-season campaign with a well fought 1-1 draw against our good friends Hayes and Yeading United.

Hayes who looked bright, and full of energy throughout I’m sure will enjoy a successful season and we wish them well.

The game couldn’t have started any worse for the Wood, Sam Cox leaving the field to be replaced by Matthew Whichelow within the first ten minutes.

Hayes had the first effort a deep Cross from Fenlon on the right which got caught by the wind went sailing beyond the Hayes frontline.

It took the Wood a while to get started, but credit to Hayes who stopped the Wood from playing at every opportunity. Whichelow switched from right to left to Montgomery, who neatly played in Clifford. The Skilful midfielder took a touch and just curled his effort over the bar.

Wood caught the Hayes defence cold, a short corner to Macdonald who set himself and shot just wide of the far post.

It was Hayes who took the lead in the 22 minute a corner from Williams, Gerring rose highest and headed past Russell.

A neat piece of skill from Clifford, who was brought down 25 yards out. The midfield man picked himself up to take the free kick which went straight into the well organised wall.

A well worked move from Wood saw Howell find space down the right, his cut back went right across goal and the oncoming Montgomery shot which was well blocked by the Hayes defence.

Wood were given the prefect chance to get level, Shakes was fouled in the box by Gerring, Macdonald stepped up and Norman made a great save.

A change of Wood personal followed, attacking pair Morias and Crawford replaced Macdonald and Clifford. Crawford forced a good save from Norman low down to his right.

A mix up in the Hayes defence allowed Whichelow a shot on goal, which drifted wide of the far post. Howell went close with an effort just outside the box following a lay off from Whichelow.

It was Morias who got Wood their equalising goal, a neat through ball from Shakes, freed Morias who shook of the defender before slotting past Norman.

Late on Worsfold had a rasping drive from distance deflected for a corner which was well cleared by the Wood defence.

Following the game Ian Allinson told us “It was a good game played at a high tempo. It sets us up nicely now for FC Halifax Town on Saturday, all credit to Hays tonight as they came here to stop us playing and that test was good for us”. On the goal the gaffer said “I was disappointed with the way in which we conceded as we have spoken about it at length throughout pre-season and we wil address it again at training tomorrow”

Asked about the two that went off injured the gaffer advised “It was precautionary really and I would expect both to be available for Saturday, but we need to give it 24 hours and then Megan can assess them before we make any decisions”.


Wood Team: Russell (Edwards), Nunn, Woodards (Garrard), Cox (Whichelow), Doe (Hill), Reynolds, Shakes, Howell, Clifford (Crawford), Macdonald (Morias), Montgomery




Share This