Boreham Wood 3-2 East Preston

An upset was nearly caused at Meadow Park as with just 12 minutes remaining the Wood were trailing 2-1 and heading out of the FA Cup. Credit has to go to East Preston who fought for their lives throughout the 90 minutes for making life very difficult for a Wood side that despite having a number of chances were not at their best. When they got the chance East Preston played the game the right way and deservedly took the lead early in the second half. However two late goals from Angol and Morgan sealed the win and a place in the next round for Wood.

The game as you would expect saw the Wood have the majority of the play. Wood had to be patient in their build up. The first chance came after just a few minutes when Reynolds played the ball down to Angol who cushioned his header into the path of Montgomery and on his trusted left foot put his effort over the bar.

In Woods next attack Whichelow beat the offside trap beautifully got to the byline and pulled the ball back for Lipman who at the second attempt fired his effort onto the post.

Woods patience was rewarded in the 28th Minute when Montgomery down the left played the ball into Angol who spun his marker and smashed an unstoppable drive into the top left corner

All the play was coming from the Wood with East Preston having every man behind the ball and in the space of 5 minutes there were three great chances for Wood to double their lead when Whichelow, Angol and Hill unmarked in the box from a corner put their efforts wide.

Wood continued with their patient build up and Angol who got past his man was fouled 20 yards out. He dusted himself down to take the free kick and put it over the bar.

It was Lipman this time who had a great chance to get a second for the Wood. On the edge of the area following a un-cleared corner, he struck the ball well and the keeper got down well to his left to tip it round the post.

East Preston who on their first real attack get an equaliser. It began with Hunt on the right who played a great cross field ball to Shelley. He drove at the Wood defence, slipped the ball into Herbert who goes round Russell and puts it into an empty net.

In the 2nd half Thomas replaces the injured Garrard.

Just 7 minutes into the second half and a simple through ball from Axell finds Shelley who beat the offside trap and put East Preston into an unlikely lead.

East Preston who since taking the lead really grew in confidence and Boswell drove at the Wood defence before shooting wide.

Wood stepped it up a gear and in quick succession Angol and Whichelow both drew fantastic saves from Collick.

Wood won a corner on the right, taken by Montgomery. Reynolds rose highest in the box and his header was cleared off the line.

Moli came on to replace Lipman, who immediately combined well with Angol, with the latter firing over.

Moli looked lively and won a free kick after losing his man. Montgomery whipped the free kick in but had too much on it for Reynolds.

It wasn’t until the 78th minute that after some good football Wood got their equaliser. Whichelow drove into the box and after a scramble it fell to Angol who coolly slots it past the keeper.

Wood continued to heap the pressure on the Sussex County League side and after making a string of fine saves a shot from a full 30 yards from Morgan was spilt by Collick and the ball trickled into the back of the net to give Wood the lead.

For the final six minutes Wood looked to contain and kept the ball well as East Preston looked to push forward for the equaliser. The Wood defence held firm and after 3 minutes of added time the Ref blew the whistle and Wood sealed the win and a place in the next round of the Cup.


Russell, Garrard (Thomas 46), Morgan, Cox, Hill, Reynolds, Whichelow, Shakes, Angol, Lipman (Moli 64), Montgomery

Subs: Noto, Moli, Thomas, Hunter, Courtnage

Goals: Angol 28, 78 Morgan 84

Herbert 42, Shelley 52

Boreham Wood Vs East Preston Photos

Photos Courtesy of Sean Hinks. No photos may be used without the prior permission of Boreham Wood FC.


Share This